Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Found a coolant leak!

i found a coolant leak! apparently this line is a PITA to replace. how do i get at the end i cant see? and should i buy an OEM hose, or just get some silicone hose so i wont have to worry about it again?

TIA, john

post-2228-136027601769_thumb.jpg

when redoing my water pump seal I eventually realized that it was much easier to just take off the whole A/C and alternator bracket. The A/C line was flexible enough for me to shove it quite a bit out of the way. Your leak might be a bit farther to the left, though.

Also, just go to a parts store and bring the old tube with you. Makes it a lot easier to compare sizes.

thats not that difficult to change, it just LOOKS scary..

squat down and look real close.. youll see that a long needle nose plier is your best freind..

Second that. Needle nose and a long flat-tip screwdriver. 1/4 inch hose.

i remember replacing that hose. took a lot of patients, time and profanity. the hardest part is getting the hose to slide securely ove r the fitting under the manifold, then getting th clamp over it. and yes, needle nose pliers are your friend.

when i find the guy responsible for putting one of those irritating pinch style hose clamps under the intake manifold, hes going to be in a world of hurt. :mad: i ended up cutting the coolant hose apart, piece by piece. tomorrow, i have the exciting task of trying to put new hose back in!

that sounds about right, i think i even made the same statement when i was replacing the hose. ive noticed a few things on these cars that have made me want to go engineer hunting. there are a lot of little things that could have been easily done differently. hmm, anyone up fora trip to find the ea82 designers? give em a peice of our minds. either that, or convince them to hook us up with some go fast bits for not beating them stupid. hmmm, maybe ive said too much now, but the person that designed that hose routing should be hurt or made to replace it with out pulling the manifold.

when i find the guy responsible for putting one of those irritating pinch style hose clamps under the intake manifold, hes going to be in a world of hurt. :mad: i ended up cutting the coolant hose apart, piece by piece. tomorrow, i have the exciting task of trying to put new hose back in!

i actually got it all connected tonight! this is definately going on my list of things i never want to do again. started the buggy up, let it run for a few mins, saw no leaks, so i should be good to go.