Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need front end help AGAIN

hey guys,

i finally got the subie running like a champ, until this morning. i was getting off the freeway on my way to my last final (WOO). as i slowed down, the car started shaking, like it normally does when i brake from a high speed, but this morning, i felt it go "over the edge" and all of a sudden the problem started.

when i brake, or turn to either side, the front, drivers side of the car grinds REALLY bad. grinding really actually isn't the proper word for it. it sounds like someone is hitting something under there with a ball-peen hammer over and over again. it pulsates like someone is hammering, and between strikes you can hear it sorta "hiss-grind" at you. like i said, this happens both when i brake from any speed, and when i turn both left and right.

heeeeelpppppp. i'm super stressed out about it, and i would really appreciate your help!

Could be an axle/CV problem, take a look under the car for torn CV boots. Any change in the brake pedel feel or travel? Pull the wheel off and look for loose parts, pull and pry, check the caliper, brake pads and the axel nut.

Gary

bad times today...

I went down there to check stuff out, and noticed that the castle nut that i just tightened up a couple weeks ago to 155 ft lbs. was loose again. the pin was still in place, but for some reason, the nut was super loose. the noise is gone, but i'd like to get everything repaired.

people i've spoken with say bad bearings, but i just replaced them maybe 3 weeks ago. I'm at a loss.

suggestions?

When the nut was loose it was probably the hub making the noise. Mine did the same thing, but I didnt catch it soon enough because I have center caps so I cant see the castle nuts without taking off the wheels... so I ended up stripping a hub.

I plan to go at it with an impact gun soon to make sure everything is still snug from the repair.

As to WHY it happened? Maybe the wheel bearings werent seated properly and then finally popped in making the castle nut now become loose.

Have you been running in 4WD on dry pavement? I had here and there and thats probably why my hub bit the dust.

The cone washer could be wore out and sometimes the outer washer can be placed back on the axle stub the wrong way. Yes, there is a right and wrong way.

Yea, it's easy to miss that the outer one is slightly cupped. I was so lucky when I started messing with Soobs, in that I didn't even know about that, did my first bit of front end work, then before I even drove the car, saw it mentioned in a post. Took both castle nuts off, and sure enough, one of them was backwards. Lucky me.

Pyro

1. I've been doing a bit of steep gravel driving with 4wd recently in a construction area near my house. It's almost a hard surface I guess...

2. The washer is starting to wear out, and I was a bit concerned. When I tightened the castle nut back down a couple weeks ago, I checked, and both of the washers have the word "out" facing out.

Anyway, I tightened the nut up and it sounds good now, and I'm hoping it stays that way.

I'll give you a call this weekend probably turbone, I work every day between now and then.

Thanks a lot guys!

If I dont have access to a air compressor for my air gun, I usually take my 1/2 drive breaker bar and slip a 3ft long pipe over it. And I hurf down on that sucker as tight as I can, just making sure I line up the hole for the cotter pin. Havent had one loosen up for quite some time now.

If I dont have access to a air compressor for my air gun, I usually take my 1/2 drive breaker bar and slip a 3ft long pipe over it. And I hurf down on that sucker as tight as I can, just making sure I line up the hole for the cotter pin. Havent had one loosen up for quite some time now.

Yea! Breaker bars with a cheater pipe! Thats the way. But I'm a big guy (read too fat) 6'2", 235lb, and have to watch out that I don't pull the threads right off the axle! It can be done easily if ya get to reefing on the cheater.

Pyro