Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my poor RX needs help!

I just got it checked out and things are not fun haha. Seems sumthings up with my lifters which I think is adddressed in the "ticking of death" post on here. Theres an exhaust leak?? and the timing belt seals or sumthin around there as wheel as valve cover gaskets.....are these fixes plausible on a simple budget? They shop was talkin about $700 which I almost laughed at them in the face, could get a whole new engine for that. Seems like all those are causing it to leak oil while the lifters are cauusing the ticking noise. Can anyone offer advice? Or does anyone have these items that I could purchase/know of a place that sells them? I really want to fix the engine before resorting to trying to find a new one. Also how good is CCR for rebuilding? Is it expensive? Thanks for the help ahead of time.

CCR isnt cheap, but they are the best... and you get what you pay for.

If all your engine is doing is leaking oil, a cheap fix would be to buy a case of oil and carry it with you. The tick of death is normal and even tho it sais "death" in the title, it will NOT cause any damage to your engine. Just your ear's.

Is your car still blowing smoke out the tail pipe?

-Brian

CCR isnt cheap, but they are the best... and you get what you pay for.

If all your engine is doing is leaking oil, a cheap fix would be to buy a case of oil and carry it with you. The tick of death is normal and even tho it sais "death" in the title, it will NOT cause any damage to your engine. Just your ear's.

Is your car still blowing smoke out the tail pipe?

-Brian

no it isnt but imm worried about the leaks and i want to get em all patched up and the noise to go away. But i need help haha so I guess ill see if any of my friends can help which is few to none orr wait till ur not too busy if your alright with that. Arrg I wish I knew more, but i guess i can only know through learning haha which is now. Has anyone dealt with CCR? How much is it? Or does anyone have engine parts? :brow:

*called CCR, lordy for the price, ah well. looks like imma have to just ask around for parts or where to get parts*

Agreed on the oil. The oil leaks on these cars can be maddening from what I've seen and heard. I'm at the point where I'm just going to put down a big cookie sheet in the carport and fill it with cat litter. Brand new seals in January and it's already dropping a few drops a day.

Course, I ignored the advice of the mechanic to use 20W50... that might help you.

by the way, the mechanic who inspected it was talking about if i dont replace the valve gaskets that are leaking oil an all and everythin my engine is gonna go soon which sounded scary to me. I need to do a total engine oil flush or sumthin and i hope to do that and replace the valve cover gaskets and fix the lifters all at the same time. Anyone give me sorta a run down of how the valve cover gaskets work/replace? And know where i can get some?

Personally, I wouldn't flush anything unless you are ready to do a complete reseal on your motor. Think abou it. Any detergent that dislodges crap from your motor will also dislodge any crap in the seals.. making more leaks.. Yay!

Search the board for leaks and ticks. you'll find the most common ones, the consequences and cures.

Valve cover gaskets are cheap and easy.. Unlikely to be your only or even main source of leaking.. also, unless your motor is absolutely pouring oil, its not going anywhere and your mechanic is full of crap, very likely trying to scare you into putting a bunch of cash in his pocket. Time for a new mechanic, or spend the $$ for a FSM and a small metric tool kit and learn to do it yourself

www.1stsubaruparts.com

Get your stuff there. even after shipping its oftwen cheaper than getting stuff locally or me.

Valve cover gaskets are very easy and very cheap. First thing I ever did to my 82 GL Wagon was change the valve cover gaskets.. I think a pair is like $7-$12. Good luck. On the other hand, if your HEAD gasket is leaking oil... you probably should fix that.. i think you can get a gasket kit for like $120-$130? It's a very involved process.. pulling the motor and everything... i think a lot of mechanics charge like 300% labor to parts charges.. and then get there parts for 50% more than we do..

The 1st thing I learned about mechanics are to never listen to mechanics. 98% of the mechanics you run into only want your money and will tell you whatever they think will scare you into leaving your car there for a complete engine overhaul.

if you dont fix your gaskets, and all the oil leaks out, and you drive your car with no oil... then yes, your engine will die.

If you keep oil in it, your engine will last forever (well, until something ELSE breaks 1st). Our engines are Horizontally opposed. The pistons lie flat. This means, the combustion chamber has oil in it when the engine is at rest. This helps keep the combustion chamber lubricated as opposed to V or Inline engines where just the crank is submersed in oil.

Get your car to pass smog 1st, then worry about the ticking and oil later. I think your worrying too much about nothing.

Do you have any hesitation when you drive? Does the car stall? Do you see any smoke out the tail pipe? Anything OTHER than a small puddle of oil under your car that worries you? Ive owned 13 Subarus. They've ALL leaked oil (to the amount of a quart or more every couple weeks) and almost everyone of them has had a horrible clacking caused by the lifters. This is the way all subaru's are, and to a new owner or a novice this may scare you.

Don't worry about it.

-Brian