Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help with speaker upgrade

Guest hoamskoold

I want to upgrade the speakers in my '98 Legacy Outback, but I don't know anything about car audio and am confused by the terminology e.g. "2-way," "3-way," "component systems," etc. I know my Outback has 6 speakers: 2 tweeters in the front and 2 speakers each in the front and rear. Are those speakers mid-range speakers or woofers or what? What is a crossover? Should I replace all 6 speakers or just the two large ones in the front? If I replace the tweeters, can I mount them in the same place as the factory tweeters or do I need to mount them somewhere else? Will I need to do any re-wiring? If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks!

P.S. I've already checked out Crutchfields, etc. and I'm still as confused as ever.

http://www.electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker.htm

Basically, a two or three way speaker has different speakers built into it.

2 way usually have a bass and tweeter, 3 way have bass , midrange and tweeter.

Many car speakers, say a pioneer or jensen 6 x 9 3 way use the most basic crossover networks. The crossover allows passage of the correct frequencies to the correct drivers. Higher-end speaker systems will use better crossover networks to make sure this happens.

I don't know what the Subie uses for a crossover, but I doubt they spent a lot of money on it, so it will be very simple, maybe just a capacitor and coil.

Tweeters need to be placed high, especially in a car, or they really won't perform, that's why they are above the dash. If they are placed, say at the bottom of the door panel, then you probably wouldn't be able to hear what is coming out of them. The high frequncies would be lost in the carpet and upholstery.

Bass speakers need to be placed lower to enhance their performance.

I don't know what is in your car, but it is usually the minimum manufacturers can get away with, but still sound good. That's why you don't have to spend a lot of money to help the sound out a bit.

The worst thing about the wagon versus a sedan is that the rear deck on a sedan is a good place to have some quality 3 way speakers installed. Unfortunatley for the wagon, the speakers are located in the bottom of the doors.

Frankly, I don't spend any money on my car stereo system, as I have all my money tied up in my home unit, where I can enjoy it.

This is as simple as I can explain it for as slow as I type.

Whip me, beat me, tie me up, just don't make me listen to low-fidelity!

Guest hoamskoold
Subwoofers go: "BOOM BOOM BOOM" and you can hear them in your liver.

Tweeters go: "tweet tweet tweet", much like a bird, high pitch and stuff.

Midrange, well you guessed it, in between those

I know what woofers, tweeters, and mid-range speakers are. If you want to be helpful, feel free.

If you are still wondering about this, your car uses a "component" speaker system, so if you want to replace with similar type parts, don't buy the 2 way or 3 way speakers.

I would call your larger speakers mid-range, reserving "woofer" for something 8" and up. I am not into car audio like I used to be so I can't recommend any specifics. If you are shopping crutchfield, their calculator should tell you the size and then you can pick the right speakers based on that... just get the component audio stuff as I said before.

• 5 months later...

Go to crutchfeild.com they have an extensive list of speakers that fit the car, and you dont have to buy from them, they are just a great resounce. Actually you already did that, what you do next is call them and ask for advice.

Also take your favorit CD to a car audio sotre, and listen to the speakers. Speakers are hard to choose , its all by ear and personal taste. Thats what i do.

hehe im not a big fan of BOOMBOOMBOOM...but it is fun to watch the license plate screws back out from the vibration ....

Speakers on the subaru are real easy to swap out, panels come out esaily just be nice to them.

nipper