Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt-6 electrical question.

This may be due to a failure of one or more of the alternator output diodes. You probably will be able to make trip ok without changing the alternator but having it checked out with a load test at least would be a good idea before leaving.

I saw these symptons in an 82 GL Sedan.. it was a bad / loose (not connected) ground wire in the underdash mess of wire. find your grounds... they are always a black wire going from "somewhere" to a good metallic ground. Make sure your wires are in good condition.. without any spots exposed and the contacts are in good clean order.. rust and corrosion and other kinds of weird build up or a loose bolt or something can be causing you to not ground out properly. Good luck!

Edit) it would be a good idea to check all your underhood grounds out too :brow:

w00t!!!

XT6 guy in colorado. I would second what they say, first check your grounds, then accuse the alt. Question ??? Is it only happening when you have the turn signal on? Does it only do it at night when you've loaded the system with the lights and such? If only at night or only w/ turn signal, thats fairly normal for an older XT6, but I'd probably still have the alt checked out... Where abouts do you live BTW? I drive the yellow one around Broomfield, and Rick drives a silver one around lakewood and boulder....

• 2 weeks later...

now it has really esclated i believe that my voltage regulator is totall fried i mnoticed a few nights ago that the voltage was under twelve i stopped staired at the engine then figured better go home made it home no prob the next day going to work 15 + volts the whole way to and from work i went out that night to do some tuning the voltage went to twelve after about five min of 14 volts then out of no where about ten minutes later the engine starts having trouble firing i pull over it dies completely not even enough juice to turn the engine over got towed home recharged the battery car runs fine exibits the same high low symptoms in voltage

HELP!!!

you need an alternator and a fusible link (little black box by the battery). you'll need the black link. it may be useable, but it's likely failed or degraded, i would replace it.

sorry i blew it off earlier, the XT6 electrical system is a burden on the system and can cuase lights to dim when under load (a/c, radio, head lights, fog lights, blinkers...etc).

i am replacing the fusable link asap for some unknown reason the alt decided to come back from the dead but it is acting up really badly flickering lights weard noise the power gauge jumps around at idle sometimes weard what other cars can i use the alt off of i cannot afford new parts

be careful replacing the fusible link, you might just keep burning them out until you replace that alternator. i've bought some fusible link wire from NAPA (a few feet of it, enough to make a number or fusible links) and made my own on short notice. then i replaced them with the real thing.

grab a used alternator from somewhere, i may have one lying around if you're interested PM or email me. see what a local rebuilding charges to rebuild yours. or if you're industrious pull it apart and see where you get yourself. replace the brushes and i know someone who has pulled them apart before. he said there's a solder joint that looks to break loose. your problem could be as easy as a solder joint. never rebuilt one myself so i can't tell you anymore. i seem to recall he just resoldered that joint before.