Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air Scoop Hood for brat? .. also back-engineering a "tornado" fuel saver

My weber has a slightly too tall air filter (new one I ordered, not the one I got it with) and I just thought it would be fun to have a low-profile air scoop on the hood, anyone know if there is a hood from say an out-back or Legacy wagon that would fit with some small modifications?

Also, I have looked into these "Tornado" things that seem to be a simple bolt-on static vortex creator. In simple terms, a device that speeds up air flow with out a blower. When you look at these devices they just look to me like a turbo fan blade that doesn't move and apparently it's the normal suction created by the intake that is then sped-up by the shape of the blades. I wonder if this is similar to the Venturi Effect of a carburator?

don't buy those tornado or whatever gadgets. waste. do a search on them, others have asked about 'em. BS. they serve one purpose, to make money off of gullible people.

you can speed up air flow at localized points, while slowing it down across other areas (do you think the speed is increased where the metal is....no it's stopped actually). by introducing restrictions in the air flow will offer you nothing possibly even losses. the rough finish in the intake ports in the heads induces adequate swirling effect for fuel/air mixture. when porting and polishing a head you don't polish or even try to smooth it out like you would the combustion side of the head and the exhaust. you can gain horsepower by machining your throttle body opening just 2 or 3 mm, RC Engineering does it, so by decreasing intake cross sectional area it's possible to decrease performance and these gadgets placed in mid stream of your intake do just that - decrease your cross sectional area/volume available for fluid transfer.

Anyone with any ideas about a hood with a scoop built-in that I could adapt to fit my brat? :brow:

not likely...finding one I mean, closest thing would be putting a scoop in your hood. the newer gen stuff is so different, I dought it will work.

don't buy those tornado or whatever gadgets. waste. do a search on them, others have asked about 'em. BS. they serve one purpose, to make money off of gullible people.

you can speed up air flow at localized points, while slowing it down across other areas (do you think the speed is increased where the metal is....no it's stopped actually). by introducing restrictions in the air flow will offer you nothing possibly even losses. the rough finish in the intake ports in the heads induces adequate swirling effect for fuel/air mixture. when porting and polishing a head you don't polish or even try to smooth it out like you would the combustion side of the head and the exhaust. you can gain horsepower by machining your throttle body opening just 2 or 3 mm, RC Engineering does it, so by decreasing intake cross sectional area it's possible to decrease performance and these gadgets placed in mid stream of your intake do just that - decrease your cross sectional area/volume available for fluid transfer.

Hey Gary, I'm not trying to pick at you or start any trouble, but the tornado isn't that bad. All the fins on it are doing is redirecting the airflow, not stopping it all together. Yeah, it's true that they don't work on all cars, but I owned one a couple years back. I had it installed in a 2000 Dodge Stratus(2.4L DOHC w/ATX) and it worked. Not as well as they advertise on the commercials, but I did gain about 3 mpg more than before and it also made the engine feel a little more torquey. Now considering that the thing cost me about $30 on eBay, the gains weren't all that worth it in my opinion.

I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers any. I'll bring a brush by and get 'em put back in place for you!!!LOL

Patrick

here is one that uses a wrx scoop

This brumby was for sale for nearly $10K

:slobber: :slobber: :slobber:

Nice PIc!!!!!

any Idea what other mods that Brumby had? $10k .. is that USD or Australian?

Either way sounds like they must have at least big motor or something in it to even ask that price! :brow:

Well, they're a very sort after car in Australia. They've got a cult following so if you want one, you've got to pay some serious money for them. I've heard of them selling for more then what they were worth brand new:drunk:.

There's nothing quiet like them in Australia. And Subaru have a very good name here... and a considerable market share. (>25% for SUV's, about 5-6% overall)

Here are the specs....

1988 White Subaru Brumby Ute, EA82 Turbo Motor, Wrx TMIC, near new paintjob, new clutch,power steering, airconditioning, remote controlled chequerplate Utelid, full alarm system with electric windows and central locking, 5 speed manual with LSD Diff, Lift Kit, sports exhaust, VDO MP3 player, Hertz Speakers + subwoffer, Sports steering wheel, side bars, tinted windows, turbo timer, nudge bar, spot lights

AU $9490 Negotiable

Here is the page http://www.ausubaru.com/ausubaru/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3527

I saw a brumby with a wrx hood scoop in Port Macquarie that didnt have a IC, it was just for show, but a nice brumby, painted Metallic dark blue:brow:

I reckon that the wrx intercooler will fit very easy on the brumby/brat. ie with little modification.

Gannon

Here are the specs....

1988 White Subaru Brumby Ute, EA82 Turbo Motor, Wrx TMIC, near new paintjob, new clutch,power steering, airconditioning, remote controlled chequerplate Utelid, full alarm system with electric windows and central locking, 5 speed manual with LSD Diff, Lift Kit, sports exhaust, VDO MP3 player, Hertz Speakers + subwoffer, Sports steering wheel, side bars, tinted windows, turbo timer, nudge bar, spot lights

AU $9490 Negotiable

Here is the page http://www.ausubaru.com/ausubaru/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3527

I saw a brumby with a wrx hood scoop in Port Macquarie that didnt have a IC, it was just for show, but a nice brumby, painted Metallic dark blue:brow:

I reckon that the wrx intercooler will fit very easy on the brumby/brat. ie with little modification.

Gannon

Nice! thx for the info! :cool:

I go a great deal from my favorite junk-yard ... a XT hood with the scoop attached FREE!! it has some minor damage on the front and back, and just happends to be the same silver as my extra brat hood ... I will see if I can just cut a hole in the extra hood, cut out the scoop and weld the mounting points onto the brat hood so I can always replace it with annother XT scoop if needed :drunk:

• 2 weeks later...

12448P6050009_2_.JPG12448P6050007_2_.JPG12448P6180045_2_.JPG

thats it it was a tray from an ice machine i cut it down and weled it on it works great ram air dosent do as much as you think but it was fun and its great to look out and see the beautiful hood scoop.....ohhhhh....... stainlesssssss.........ohhhhhhhhh

matt

ps yes those are fog lights

12448P6050009_2_.JPG12448P6050007_2_.JPG12448P6180045_2_.JPG

thats it it was a tray from an ice machine i cut it down and weled it on it works great ram air dosent do as much as you think but it was fun and its great to look out and see the beautiful hood scoop.....ohhhhh....... stainlesssssss.........ohhhhhhhhh

matt

ps yes those are fog lights

np, I don't expect to get any "ram-air" effect, just more space to build my vortex creater (tornado/turbonator) I'm not going to preasurize it, just hope to get a little cooler air this way ;)

P.S. like the wagon chopped ... looks better than a stock wagon :clap:

Speaking of scoops, hear's an trippy one. Looks like he's out of them right now, but he keeps getting more. Think I'll try one on the Pig. I've got three hoods, so if it winds up looking stupid I don't have to keep it. The K&N on my Weber didn't fit under the hood so I cut a hole in one hood yesterday. Already running cooler.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7983749965&category=33646

Pyro

Speaking of scoops, hear's an trippy one. Looks like he's out of them right now, but he keeps getting more. Think I'll try one on the Pig. I've got three hoods, so if it winds up looking stupid I don't have to keep it. The K&N on my Weber didn't fit under the hood so I cut a hole in one hood yesterday. Already running cooler.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7983749965&category=33646

Pyro

Hmmmmmm ... not a bad find, many of the scoops I looked at tonight on ebay were either too short or just tooo cheezy, that one I missed ... I think first thing in the morning I will just make a hole for my filter too, it will definately get some cooler air just poking out :cool: