Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flywheel? XT6 or lighten mine?

I'm needing a clutch really badly, should I go with the XT6 flywheel or just get mine drilled in the back? I'll get the XT6 pressure plate or if anyone knows of a good aftermarket one. I don't mind being on the vurge of a hernia when I push the peddle in, I just want it to hook up when I side-step the clutch. The clutch is killing my 1/4 mile times and I might as well run a lighter flywheel while I'm at it. Maybe just stick with the heavy flywheel to help the car off the line? Hmmm????

well in my RX, I currently have a stage 2 clutch kit with the stock unlightened flywheel. I dunno if he can still get them but I got the kit from WJM because there was a shop that made them right next door to the dealership he was working at. I gave him $200 to get it for me and ship it out here. He has all the info for the place and he'd probably give it to you if you asked.

if you use a xt-6 flywheel you can use a impreza/legacy clutch

the xt6 flywheel fits exaclty the same as the stock ea82. if you can run an impreza/legacy clutch on it, you could run that same clutch on any ea82 with the big clutch...

the xt6 flywheel is lighter, but you could make it even lighter if you did your own, or had it done. i guess it has to be rebalanced if you just spin it on a lathe...the xt6 is already balanced.

i've ran the xt6 flywheel, and an ea82, and ea81 flywheel, all on the same motor and car, and i cant tell the difference...

but its not a turbo dragracer either...

In accordance to what archemitis just said, the aftermarket clutch kit for an impreza will fit. I did a little research and found that out. I plan on upgrading when I return to the States to either an ACT or a Centerforce clutch and also a brand new, stock flywheel.

So does it matter what year Impreza? I know I am going to have to change out my clutch in the ER27 especially once I boost it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have thought about ceramic but that might be pushing it and my budget! If someone had some part numbers or even a good web site that would be even better. Thank you guys!:drunk:

that's something I noticed when the clutch was replaced in my car ('95 legacy, awd)... I took the old worn disc out and measured it up to a clutch from one of hondasucks' spare EA82 motors... put it on the shaft and it all looked good. I don't think I posted anything about that.

About drilling/modifying a flywheel...

do you want to risk not doing it right? what about hotspots? or uneven, ect. and it not being balanced? what if you take too much off and the centrifugal force tears it apart? Maybe these worries are too much... lol. but a flywheel shattering would be f'ckin AWESOME!

I think someone should side by side compare the flywheels by look, weight, and material.