Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 loyale engine question- please help!

We recently purchased a 92 loyale. The guy said it died on his way home from work and wouldn't restart. The timing belt is not broken, the battery is charged, the starter tries to start it (clicking). My husband tried to bump start it, that did not work. Any ideas what in the world could be wrong with this? Thanks!

turn it over by hand once or twice it might be vapor locked

Rather unlikely in a fuel injected vehicle.

So, is it accurate to say that the current basic problem is that the starter does not turn the engine, clicking instead of engaging? Basic things are battery condition, cable and connection condition, and starter condition.

The battery may seem charged, but might not actually have an adequate charge. This can be tested by doing a proper load test, trying it in another car, or doing a backalley loadtest (turn on headlights and activate the starter and see how much the lights dim). A bad showing on this last test could indicate bad cables and/or connections, also.

The cables and their connections are a common problem area in Subarus. The connections get bad even though they look ok. Clean all power cable connections, including both power and ground at the starter. You can also bypass the connections by jumpstarting the car directly to the starter (both power AND ground; very important to do both).

If the above still yields just clicking, try activating the starter solenoid directly at the starter.

But, why would it have "just died" as the prior owner was driving it?

Rather unlikely in a fuel injected vehicle.

So, is it accurate to say that the current basic problem is that the starter does not turn the engine, clicking instead of engaging? Basic things are battery condition, cable and connection condition, and starter condition.

The battery may seem charged, but might not actually have an adequate charge. This can be tested by doing a proper load test, trying it in another car, or doing a backalley loadtest (turn on headlights and activate the starter and see how much the lights dim). A bad showing on this last test could indicate bad cables and/or connections, also.

The cables and their connections are a common problem area in Subarus. The connections get bad even though they look ok. Clean all power cable connections, including both power and ground at the starter. You can also bypass the connections by jumpstarting the car directly to the starter (both power AND ground; very important to do both).

If the above still yields just clicking, try activating the starter solenoid directly at the starter.

turn it over by hand for all we know the guy driving it could of ran out of oil or any thing is possible

put you a ratchet on the bolt on the in side of the crank pullyand gently roll it over if it dosnt want to move pull your plugs and put about a teaspoon of penatrating oil down into the cylnder and give it a while and try again

Thanks! We will try this evening. We'll let you know. My husband is threatening mechanic and I don't want to spend big bucks.

turn it over by hand for all we know the guy driving it could of ran out of oil or any thing is possible

put you a ratchet on the bolt on the in side of the crank pullyand gently roll it over if it dosnt want to move pull your plugs and put about a teaspoon of penatrating oil down into the cylnder and give it a while and try again

Thanks! We will try this evening. We'll let you know. My husband is threatening mechanic and I don't want to spend big bucks.

Lets diagnose some things before handing it over to a mechanic. Several things you can try at home here that are metioned above.

Good luck!

As others have mentioned, you do not "know" what happened with the previous owner, so don't put a lot of weight in what you believe that the PO told you. "Quit working" seems like reliable info at this point, but how and when are not.

Basics, basics, basics. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm back. We tried to see if we could move the pulley, it didn't move. It's at the mechanic, talked to him today. He tried to move it also. But, did not check the belt. Was going to check the belt this afternoon. He wondered if the belt could have gotten wrapped around the pulley somehow. Will let you know.

As others have mentioned, you do not "know" what happened with the previous owner, so don't put a lot of weight in what you believe that the PO told you. "Quit working" seems like reliable info at this point, but how and when are not.

Basics, basics, basics. :)

If the clicking you are hearing is coming from the starter solenoid on the starter then I would say the solenoid contacts need to be replaced or the motor windings or the brushes are open. The problem may be a bad cable or connection to the solenoid also.

When you get the starter working and the engine does not start then see if the plugs are getting spark.

Quote: Also, why would bump starting it not work?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cndymyfrnd

Also, why would bump starting it not work?

bad alternator maybe. that would cause a dead battery and the engine will die. and if theres no power (from the battery or alternator) then it won't run even if you try to push-start it.

We recently purchased a 92 loyale. The guy said it died on his way home from work and wouldn't restart. The timing belt is not broken, the battery is charged, the starter tries to start it (clicking). My husband tried to bump start it, that did not work. Any ideas what in the world could be wrong with this? Thanks!

Even if the timing belt isn't broken, it might have stretched to the point that it skipped a tooth or two (or more) on the driver side, which would radically change ignition timing. Been there.

The basics, as previously referred to, are air, fuel, spark, and timing. Sufficient air is a given; spark can be easily checked (pull a plug and put the plug cable back on, then put the plug on the engine block and turn the key; should see spark at the plug). Fuel can be easily checked too, and isn't usualy the problem. I'd guess timing, i.e. stretched belt or broken belt adjuster.

Well the husband and mechanic won. The car is being fixed at the mechanic. They said the engine was locked. We are putting in a reconditioned engine. Total cost, right at 1200. Ouch! They can't tell us why it might have locked.

Even if the timing belt isn't broken, it might have stretched to the point that it skipped a tooth or two (or more) on the driver side, which would radically change ignition timing. Been there.

The basics, as previously referred to, are air, fuel, spark, and timing. Sufficient air is a given; spark can be easily checked (pull a plug and put the plug cable back on, then put the plug on the engine block and turn the key; should see spark at the plug). Fuel can be easily checked too, and isn't usualy the problem. I'd guess timing, i.e. stretched belt or broken belt adjuster.

Well the husband and mechanic won. The car is being fixed at the mechanic. They said the engine was locked. We are putting in a reconditioned engine. Total cost, right at 1200. Ouch! They can't tell us why it might have locked.
$1200 for a reconditioned engine? now that's pretty good because for my suby i'm looking at about 1700-2000 bucks for a new engine.