Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belts - I did it!

Well, early this week, my car broke the drivers side belt in town and hubby and I towed it to his friends house (which was only a few blocks from where it broke down) until we could get back to work on it. I told him that this was going to be *my* job, that I wanted to do it by myself. So, yesterday, we went over and I started about 6:30 pm and finished about 9:30 pm. I did everything myself except hubby and his friend did set the timing after I was all done buttoning everything back up. I had 3 guys telling me what to do (while they sat there and drank beer) but I just ignored them and told them I was going to follow the directions that Pat and Miles gave me and I would listen to them only IF I didn't get it right the first time. Well, I got it right the first time!!!! Hee hee hee :D It actually runs BETTER than it did before - I have a feeling the old belts were off a tooth somewhere because it runs a LOT smoother now :)

Happy to have my Soob back and happy I was able to do it myself! Thanks so much for this website and all the helpful people on here!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL Glen!

Actually, the linkage needs work or something. It's stuck in one gear and it's a SLOW one :P

Well, that will give you the most even cut. :grin:

My son likes having ours at top speed when we make him cut the yard. The cut job suffers from the receding blade tip not moving that much faster than the forward motion of the mower, so only the left side of the blade is moving fast enough to really cut. Gee, ...

... does that make it a half-fast job???

Karin, good job!!! :clap: I am glad that Miles and the rest of us could help you. And next time, it will be a quicker task. And YOU will be able to check/set the ignition timing, right?

Great job Karin. Consider that there are tons of posts from some of us male chauvinists who did a timing belt job and then it didn't work at all. Feel like coming down here and trying to replace headgaskets on this project Brat I have?:lol: I'll even share the beer!!

Good Going!!!!!! I used to live in Burlington and love Skagit Valley. The wife and I now live about an hour north or Spokane. It's cooler than heck that ya had the guts to try something like that. Pretty Brave Lady.

boing