Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My wagon almost burnt up yesterday

Yup, when my shop and pottery studio burnt yesterday after noon, I almost did not save the lifted pig and my 98 chevy 3/4 ton. I was washing dishes when my neihgbor was all of a sudden pounding on my door and screeming. Ran out and saw the flames. Moved the truck first, then the soob, they were parked right next to the shop. Then, believe it or not I was able to run in an grab all the firearms out of the safe. Then I couldn't get back in.

It's not a total loss. Lost the north wall, a little of the roof, two lean twos and the kiln shed with both kilns. Major major smoke damage, and lots of melted equipment in the main studio. All my fishing gear too and other stuff I don't even know what. However all my mechanics tools are in the South end and unharmed. Power tools, welding stuff are all fine.

But I think the building will be condemed by the county. Hope not, it's not insured and I can't afford to rebuild.

The good new, obviously, is nobody is injured or dead, my home is intact, and I still have transportation. Still, I'm a potter, and out of business for the time being.

Thanks for the shoulder guys. I kinda needed that.

Pyro.

************, I'm gonna change my handle.

Sorry to hear of your loss. That's terrible! You have the right attitude, though - after all is said and done, you're still alive and no one else was injured. Good thing you have a neighbor who saw what was going on and gave you a few minutes or seconds more to take action. I've had some big losses, too, and I've just kept moving along, thankful that I could still work and eventually overcome the adversity. It's pretty painful at the time, though. Can you salvage any of your pottery tools and equipment? Rick

Sorry to hear of your loss. That's terrible! You have the right attitude, though - after all is said and done, you're still alive and no one else was injured. Good thing you have a neighbor who saw what was going on and gave you a few minutes or seconds more to take action. I've had some big losses, too, and I've just kept moving along, thankful that I could still work and eventually overcome the adversity. It's pretty painful at the time, though. Can you salvage any of your pottery tools and equipment? Rick

Yes, all tools but kilns are salvagable. It's the loss of the building that is gonna be the problem.......

don't know

That's harsh! Glad you and the majority of your posessions weren't hurt.

I bet you could gather a pretty good shop-raising crew from Central Oregon board members if you plan the occasion right. :brow: A lot of us would take almost any excuse to drive out there!

Do you know what the cause of the fire was yet?

Any body want to see the carnage? Heres a bunch of pics:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a236/pyromanic/

Also, this pains me, It's hard to ask for help, but I need 180 ft. of ditch for a new power supply to whats left of the building. This will be either for if we try to save whats left of the building or rebuild, either way I need power. Any volunteer ditch diggers around central Oregon? I'm outa work untill I get juice. Man, if somebody had a ditch witch, that would be great!

Clayman.

You may donate to the Before the Wheel fire disaster relief fund at Paypal account:

b4thewheel@bendnet.com

every cent will make a difference. No dollar is too small. We're really screwed here.

wow dude, that sucks...

John & I were already thinking about stopping by tomorrow (I'm in Sisters right now) to see if you wanted to part with that rear diff & driveline.

If you have the tools, we can help dig some of the ditch. Anything to help a friend, right? anyways, let me know here, or just reply to my PM.

-Dave

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about the fire - what a bummer it's not insured! Do you have ''freecycle'' in your area on yahoogroups? Maybe you can join a freecycle group and ask for help - maybe someone has a kiln (or building materials) that they don't use anymore. You never know, worth a shot.

do you know what *caused* the fire???????

?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about the fire - what a bummer it's not insured! Do you have ''freecycle'' in your area on yahoogroups? Maybe you can join a freecycle group and ask for help - maybe someone has a kiln (or building materials) that they don't use anymore. You never know, worth a shot.

do you know what *caused* the fire???????

?

Cause appears to be electrical. Old old electrical. Cobbled to together back in the early 80's. I had made SOME improvements over the years, (I bought the place back in 92), but obviously not enough or the right ones. I honestly thought it was safe, but------

Really, feel free to send a buck. It'll all add up. Pay pal or snail mail. PM for address. This will be rebuilt one buck at a time. So believe me please, one dollar will make a difference.

Any body thinks this is some kind a scam, just look at the disgusting pictues. Or ask Hooziewhatsit, he's coming by tonight to help with ditch for power and pick up a rear diff I have for him.

Thanks for all the positive thoughts and words too folks, it helps honest it does.

Leland the clayman

Hey Leland, I'm like a lot of folks in our country - willing to help someone who needs a hand when times are tough provided they're willing to help themselves, as well. It's clear you're willing and able to pull yourself out of this mess one step at a time, and I commend you for that.

I can't drive over to dig or help build, but I certainly can Paypal a donation. Maybe if I shake loose of some other commitments, I'll come over later and do what I can do. But for now $ is all I can spare. Sincerely, Rick

Wow guys, I don't know what to say. It's far to easy for a guy to get a pessimistic attitude about human nature when real bad luck strikes. But then folks start coming through with all kinds of help, and then it's realize that by and large, people ARE good.

Can't thank you enough for the words of encouragement, the cash and the offers to help.

We are applying for a grant and maybe an interest free loan from a Non Profit called CERF. CERF stands "Crafts Emergency Relief Fund". their grants and loans are small, our loss is large, (I know, I know, compared to what?) but holy cow, a bucket is filled with drops!!

And the folks saying they wish they were closer so as to lend a hand, thanks a million times, but theres really nothing to be done untill we get some cash on hand for materials. It's gonna take a couple grand at least to get power back to the vincinity of the lost buildings, and that's gotta happen first. The money is trickleing in, so on the good days I have SOME hope we will recover. On the bad days---especially at night--------------

Nope, not gonna start whining. Theres far to much work to do to waste time with that crap.

I absolutely look like a negro at the end of each day what with wading through the blackened rubble. Pretty funny looking. Helps my wife to keep her spirits up.

Somebody mentioned raku. Yup, thats what I do. To bad I didn't have a bunch of glazed ware hanging around in the kiln shed that burnt, It would have been raku'd in the fire. Might have had some ware to sell then!!

We have a huge dumpster coming this thursday or friday, then we can really start getting rid of the mess. Can't wait, I'm sick of looking at this ************. Been tearing usable metal roofing off whats left of trusses, gathering up firebrick out of the ashes, so on and so forth. Lots to do.

Better get to it. Thanks again so much for ANY cash donations. That's exactly what we need right now.

I do NOT want to have to sell my lifted Soob or my chvy PU to rebuild. my studio/shop. Every penny that comes in will forestall that last resort desperate possibility.

So again, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd do the same for any one of you guys, and that's the truth!

Leland Hall,

the Clayman

Hope things are going better for you today. Have you made any progress on the electricity?

I notice in your signature that you have '86 and '87 parts wagons. If you have some Subaru parts I can use, I'll buy them from you - maybe that'll help your cash needs a bit. I know you're busy recovering from the fire, so don't worry about looking for these parts right now... Here's a couple items I could use:

PIECE OF A/C LINE

I have an air conditioning leak in the metal high pressure line, just downstream from the compressor on the way to the condenser. The leak is in the line that has the port where you check high pressure side with a gauge. Right where it bends on the left fender wall and heads forward under the coolant overflow tank and on toward the radiator and condenser.

If you have this piece of a/c line, I could use the entire piece from the compressor to the condenser or just the segment that could replace the area that's damaged. Your part has to be in good condition, of course... not leaking...:)

HOOD HOLD-UP ROD OR ROD GROMMET

Also, do you happen to have a hood "hold-up" rod with the rubber that goes in the base at the front frame intact and in good shape? Ours (the rubber part) is worn out, and the rod wants to come out at the bottom when we hold up the hood.

These items are for our '87 GL-10 turbo 4x4 wagon. If you have either or both let me know how much you want, including shipping over to Burns 97720. Thanks, Rick

Yes Rick, things are better today. A couple of board members came by today, Hooziewhatsit and John (don't know his USMB Handle) , and bought a spare diff I had. And then they hung out a few hours and dug my ditch for the new electric I'll need to get back to work!! Now How cool is that?!!

Also getting a few "disaster relief" donations from folks, and I can hardly express how greatful we are. If this keeps up, we'll be able to rebuild an I can get back to work.

Rick, I certainly have the hood support, and maybe a grommet. I'll check on the AC line in the morning. I'm too darn beat right now.

Spent the morning seperating fryed roofing metal from charred rafters, want to be ready when the giant dumpster comes thursday.

Thanks again everybody. You really are making a difference.

Sincerely

Leland the Clayman,

PS: fire sucks. Never thought it would happen to us. Be careful during these dry hot months folks, it doesn't take but second to have your life change permanantly.

La Pine, Oregon

Hope things are going better for you today. Have you made any progress on the electricity?

I notice in your signature that you have '86 and '87 parts wagons. If you have some Subaru parts I can use, I'll buy them from you - maybe that'll help your cash needs a bit. I know you're busy recovering from the fire, so don't worry about looking for these parts right now... Here's a couple items I could use:

PIECE OF A/C LINE

I have an air conditioning leak in the metal high pressure line, just downstream from the compressor on the way to the condenser. The leak is in the line that has the port where you check high pressure side with a gauge. Right where it bends on the left fender wall and heads forward under the coolant overflow tank and on toward the radiator and condenser.

If you have this piece of a/c line, I could use the entire piece from the compressor to the condenser or just the segment that could replace the area that's damaged. Your part has to be in good condition, of course... not leaking...:)

HOOD HOLD-UP ROD OR ROD GROMMET

Also, do you happen to have a hood "hold-up" rod with the rubber that goes in the base at the front frame intact and in good shape? Ours (the rubber part) is worn out, and the rod wants to come out at the bottom when we hold up the hood.

These items are for our '87 GL-10 turbo 4x4 wagon. If you have either or both let me know how much you want, including shipping over to Burns 97720. Thanks, Rick

that's why I commented that luckily the Jack Pines didn't burn also

Yea the jack pines didn't burn cause I spent the last 15 years gradually creating a "defensable space" around my building complex. Of course the idea was so that a wild-fire couldn't jump over to my buildings. Kind of funny how it works both ways.

Leland

Leland, how's it going this morning? Got any of your capacity back to do your craft? I'd imagine that'll take awhile, considering the extent of damage to your shop.

BTW, I'm getting the hood prop grommet from Flowmastered87GL, who's parting out a rig and has it advertised here in The Subaru Marketplace. So don't need that part anymore.

But I can still use that segment of a/c line, if you have the right one. No hurry, though - just wanted to let you know I already have the the other part. And, if I get the a/c line, I'll let you know that, too. Take care, Rick

Leland, how's it going this morning? Got any of your capacity back to do your craft? I'd imagine that'll take awhile, considering the extent of damage to your shop.

BTW, I'm getting the hood prop grommet from Flowmastered87GL, who's parting out a rig and has it advertised here in The Subaru Marketplace. So don't need that part anymore.

But I can still use that segment of a/c line, if you have the right one. No hurry, though - just wanted to let you know I already have the the other part. And, if I get the a/c line, I'll let you know that, too. Take care, Rick

Rick, I've been trying to PM you, can't make that work. If you will send me your shipping address, I will get these parts to you, no charge man, glad to do it.

Do you need the hood support rod also, or just the grommet which you found elsewhere?

Definiatly have the AC line. Sorry to have taken so long, things are a mess here.

our private e-mail is b4thewheel@bendnet.com

Leland in LaPine

Sorry about your loss Leland. I sent you a Paypal donation to help out a little. I don't live close to you so I can't help out with any physical labor.

If I was faced with digging a trench like what you mention I would either rent a backhoe to dig it myself, or try to work out a deal with a local equipment owner to have one dug.

Sorry about your loss Leland. I sent you a Paypal donation to help out a little. I don't live close to you so I can't help out with any physical labor.

If I was faced with digging a trench like what you mention I would either rent a backhoe to dig it myself, or try to work out a deal with a local equipment owner to have one dug.

This got mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, but I want to make sure credit is given where credit is due:

Hooziewhatsit and his friend John came out last week, just a couple days after the fire, and donated their strong young backs to that ditch. Who needs a ditch witch or back-hoe with human machines like those two work-aholics?!! Wow, they dug like a hundred and forty foot of 28" inch ditch in three hours! Amazing. Can't thank them enough. A couple of fine young men, and a credit to the human race. I owe them and everybody else on this board a debt of gratitude for your support during this crisis. This is a real hard time for my wife and I. I'm disabled, and thank god for the SS disability payments, but it's nowhere near enough to live on, I double my income with my pottery business, and I'm out of work untill I get power into a new or rebuilt shop. And you all have helped me take the first steps toward realizing that goal. Again, Thank you all.

On a side note, I used to ride HDs, from my youth untill just a few years ago. I was always amazed at the brotherhood of bikers. Always helped eachother when need arose. When I became disabled, and had to give up the bikes and the lifestyle, I pretty much dropped out of that group of guys. (there were negatives in that bunch too, don't get me wrong!) But I kind of missed the comradarie and support.

I confess that I'm kind of suprised to be finding similar comaradie and quality of friendship amongst Soob owners. (I'm new to Soobs) I don't know why I didn't expect it, but it sure is a nice suprise. All I know for sure is that what goes around, comes around, and when I'm back on my feet I'll be on the watch for anybody needing a hand. You can count on that.

Thanks to a great bunch of guys.

Ok, mushy rant over.

Leland in La Pine