Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My $100 Car

Ok well I just got a new soobie on Monday.I paid $100 for this thing and its worth every penny and then a couple hundred more...Dollars that is. I'm told its basicly an RX but the only diffrence is this one dosent have the side skerting that the RX's do.It has the 1.8 mpfi TURBO, the fulltime 4WD (soon to be fultime AWD) dule range with the diff lock in the front,And the spoiler.

Still new to the Board so I dont know how to put the pics in the post 'YET' but here is the link for the gallery(I only have 2 Pic's for now I'll have more later)...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=12165

~Fat~

Not too bad looking! Especially for $100!!! When you are writing a post you can add a picture by clicking the little icon that looks like a little mountain? You click that and then type in or paste the url that belongs to where the pic is.... or if you know html i think you can <a href> pics in too.. not sure though cuz i think it's easier just pushing the button :brow:

12165Bunker_S_RX-med.JPG

12165Bunker_S_RX-thumb.JPG or you can do this to save space in your post.simply go up to the top an right click on the photo gallery link,then click open in new window,then go to the pic you want to put in your post.right click it then click on copy.now when you go back to the mindow that has the post your working on,right click on the post your writing then click paste.

i know it sounds difficult but once you get the hang of it,it's a breeze.no having to type in anything,just point an click.basicly

nice man, i picked up the exact same car.

401DSC00533-thumb.jpg and no thats not my real hair:lol:

anyways, I used to live in bend too. one word of advise. getting parts in that town sucks!!

brad's auto,smith rock auto, the guru, etc.. all charge way too much for their parts. best bet is to get parts from private sellers, usmb, ebay, or move to a town that has u-pulls! ah i love portland:)

Acctuly Styles I know a guy that is a subaru fanatic here in town and i get parts for Dirt chap if not free

Well I'll get more pics up tomarrow(ok so it will be later to day but after i wake up but still)

~Fat~

Ok so if you've seen the new pics you'll understand the reason why my name on the board is FAT.

:banana: (In a musical tone)"FAT man in a little car!"

Ok When i got it home we started it up and it runs but it needs a new turbo and valve cover seals/gaskets.

-FAT-

well A full time 4WD tranny dosent have a limited slip pacackage in the front so only one tire pulls but a fulltime AWD dose have the limited slip bult in so both tires will pull

-FAT-

I still don't see how you're gonna make that happen unless you get an LSD carrier swapped into it and only one person has done such a feat and that was Mudrat79 IIRC. There was never an "AWD" in these bodystyled Subarus, only the FT4WD which came in later '80's GL-10s, XT6's (for the single range) and the RX which had the dual range

well A full time 4WD tranny dosent have a limited slip pacackage in the front so only one tire pulls but a fulltime AWD dose have the limited slip bult in so both tires will pull

-FAT-

Wrong. Full Time 4WD is the same as AWD. No AWD comes standard with limited slip front diffs, dont know who told you... but they're wrong.

Newer advanced AWD technology will sence the slipping of a front wheel, apply brake to ONLY that wheel which transfers the power to the other wheel with more grip. You wont find that in any EA82 and unless you swap the computer and tranny from a new Legacy, you wont get it.

The Full Time 4WD acts exactly as any AWD would of its erra. Your car has an open center diff.... which transfers power to both front and rear diffs all the time (AWD). When you lock the center diff you are getting 50/50 front rear... no more open center diff.

Your car does, however, have a rear Limited slip (or it should). Definatly a beautiful score, expecially for $100!

-Brian

P.S. The "Full Time 4WD" is just a fancy word for AWD before subaru came up with AWD. Notice, nothing was All Wheel Drive before 1990.