Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just 20 degree's...

of timing

makes a hell of a difference .. it can take something that accelerated decently and change it into something that you can do a normal drive off no clutch dump ect let the clutch lock up

and then nail it on the floor and once on boost the front tires will break loose..

yay

now wtf am i talking about?

well i had my timing map . the fist one was way retarded so not only did i lose power but it ran hot

my second one i decided to let the laptop "figure out" a timing map for me..

worked decent not running hot anymore but using more gas than it should.

3rd try i took the generated map and retarded all the numbers by 20 degree's .. and wow

really good mileage now and the ability to light the tires from first with out a clutch dump ..

bad news is its super evident i really do need to find/ build a pitch stopper bracket really soon

oh. on the way home this morning i took about an addition 5 degree's

funny thing is i never heard any detonation tho.. maybe cause i am still running it pretty dam rich to make sure i don't break stuff

funny thing is i never heard any detonation tho.. maybe cause i am still running it pretty dam rich to make sure i don't break stuff

Ignition timing doesn't cause detonation, it can just set up the conditions for it. I once set up a car with 45 degrees of initial advance (accidentally), and it didn't detonate, was just done a bit on power.

Isn't it AMAZING what proper (or close to it) ignition timing can do?