Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 gl wagon losing power when trying to accelerate

OK , I have a 1987 4wd gl wagon that is causing me some headaches. About 1 month ago it became very sluggish and there is a noticeable lack of power when you press on the accelerator. The car doesn't stall or die if you mash on the pedal but the rpms drop all the way. It works best if I feather it slightly. It was pretty hot here when this problem started and I had a small coolant leak (now fixed), so i feel like I might have blown a gasket or something? I replaced the plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor hoping it would help but problem is still there. The car has 270k and i don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but would like to drive it for at least 6 more months. When I did my last tune up, it had a similar prob and was told to replace the intake manifold and gaskets. This was pricey... can I do it myself? Is it the problem????!!! oh, yeah heavy skid plates under car make it very hard to get at the fuel filter....

Thanks for your help!!!

It's not a plugged cat. It does not looose power, more like a sputtery, chug in order to gain power and will not say, move out from a stop light or have the abilty to turn left across a couple lanes of traffic, unless the coast is completely clear. I have tried a new ignition coil, not the prob.... a new (2nd) dist,. cap, not the problem.... any ideas????!!!! :banghead:

Second time this week I've leaned in that direction. Waite, can I say that since it is the beginning of a new week???

OK. Scrap the cat idea. It sounds like the SPFI (assuming thats the fuel delivery system) is starved for air. This is just a guess, but is it possible that the air intake regulator has stopped working or is stuck? I've never experienced that. The other thing I might consider, another guess, is the passenger side timing belt slipped a notch or two.

You know, I'm probably not helping so I'll go away now:)

My 92 Loyale is having the same problem right now. I have changed all of the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter. I guess it comes down to checking all of the annoying snesors to see if they are functioning correctly. I'm going to check the MAF and TP sensors, I'll get back to ya on the results.

P.S. if anyone has some suggestions please pass them on.

Thanks!

I had this happen twice because of loose wires on the back side of the alternator, or rather corroded wires. I assume it is not this sort of problem, but is worth checking out. Funny thing is that is was a 87 GL Wagon. Question is (is yours a Turbo?) Also throw a dash of Seafoam in the Gas Tank and Crankcase to see if there is any improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I found out what was causing my surging and sputtering and loosing power while driving, it was a hose in the back of the carb, i unplugged it out and plugged the lines and wow what a difference. It actually has power now and smooth too. I'll take a pic of it today. Maybe its the same problem with yours too. I also unplugged my EGR too. It wasnt opening anyways unless i plugged it to a different vacuum line and then it would be open ALL the time. :) Anyways I just hope it runs ok now. Thanks.