Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP!! Brake drums

pullers your best bet i got a flat on a trail and had to change it lugs stripped on drum so had to use hammer and chissel to break lugs. One fell inside drum couldnt get it off no way pb blaster two pound hammer tried the lug trick where you put on lugnut and pull with vise grips no go walked 10 miles to auto zone got puller for like 15 bucks and new lugs. Had drum off in like two minutes with puller. Good tool to have for back brakes to, allways carry it with me now! Goodluck

If you are on the adjuster you will fell the spring on it as you push in an out on it. Get you a small long nail and put a 90 bend in the end that way you can get to it easily. When you get on it push it away from you, get the larger screwdriver and get under star wheel and push handle down towards the ground. If all else fails get the puller with three arms and pull it off. The hold down clips will pull loose from the pins and you can then replace them with a new spring kit. This is how I do my 97 Legacy maybe it will work on the older ones also.

No no no, you need a big f'n hammer.. what happens is the shoes over time wear the inside of the drum down and theres a little lip that ends up hanging up.. you need to just brute past it.. I'm guessing your brakes are about 1% by the time they get to this point.. atleast mine have been.

Got the drum off finally. The wheel cylinder blowed out rhe other night, which kicked the front shoe sideways, which jammed everything up, and made one big mess of parts rattling around inside the drum.. Not good. The drum might be salvagable, but everything else is getting replaced. I am almost positive that these are the original shoes, so its time to replace things anyway. The drum on the other side practically fell off compared to the other one. So now I get to spand the morning trying to track down parts. I miss living in Denver, it was easy to get Suby parts. Around here, people have no clue what a Loyale is most the time. Well, after this I should't have anymore brake problems I hope. Just did the fron end a couple of weeks ago. Just need to figure out whats going on with the alt now......