Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another gauge question...

with a healthy alternator and battery I think it should be reading a big higher. My guage used to read like 13.5 on my GL when running. A voltmeter read 12.6 off the battery when parked.

you may be able to get a free charging system test at autozone or schucks or something. I did that with my brat because the guage is slightly off.... it says 12 volts exact when I make a little more really. So either your guage could be off or something there is weak. as far as telling which one... get tested, its free.

I think the source of the error is in the wiring too the gauge, caused by a voltage drop across the wiring. From what I have seen in the past there is about a 1 volt difference between what the battery voltage really is and what the gauge shows. If you want to prove that, you can measure the voltage at the meter connections with a seperate meter.

The readings you gave are right where they should be for both static and charging levels.