Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale with newer Subaru wheels?

Hey Guys & Gals,

My newly acquired 92 Loyale, needs new tires and I'd like to get rid of the 13" steelies that require higher priced metric sized tires.

What are the largest factory wheels with the correct bolt pattern that can be used? Because of the outragous gas prices, I wouldn't mind going larger (taller final drive) as long as it wouldn't rub.... I just pace traffic, anyhow. My car is screaming @ 60 mph!

If they aren't Subaru wheels and I should be looking at other auto manufacturers, that's fine; my only requirement is that they be something that I can find while in the j/y. Steel wheels wouldn't be out of the question... the cheaper, the better!

Thanks,

Todd

I know people put 15's on the old GL's when they do the lifts for off roading. Anyone know what these are? My dad got a set of snow tires for his '96 outback, mounted on 16" steel toyota truck tims. Obviously, they were redrilled and machined to fit the suby bolt pattern and hub, and he got them new from the snow tire place. Perhaps someone does the same for the 4 bolt subys?

There are two bolt-on options for older Subaru wheels. Allied Armament makes a set of steels that are made for offroading, and you can run older Peugeot wheels, off of a 504 or a 505. Peugeot wheels or "Pugs" as they're called around here, come in three diameters, 14", 15", and 390MM. Avoid the 390s! Wheels off of a 505 are the ones to get, because they use a more standard lug seat than the 504s.

Other options are converting to 5-lug off of an XT6 - then you can use any 5x100 wheel, which are extremely common, or you can redrill the hub to 6x139.7, or redrill a 6x139.7 wheel to 4x140.

This page here has just about every different 4x140 wheel ever made listed on it. That should give you an idea what to look for.

Here's my 14" 505 alloys wearing Yokohama snow tires:

275009.jpg

Well, unless you convert to something more common (read: redrilling 6-lug steelies to 4-lug, or an entire 5-lug conversion), just what samo said. Allied Armament (pricey + shipping) or Pugs (more affordable, but rare, and usually + shipping)

here are my 15" Pug alloys on my '85 GL (essentially a loyale, but with more options) with no lift.

3242PICT0012-med.JPG

I'm not sure what you mean by metric tire sizes, stock GL/Loyales came with 185/75/r13's which is a metric size, but the only reason they're hard to find is the fact that the 13" rim size is rare. my lifted rig uses 215/75/r15 tires. I've never seen a tire shorter than 30" that wasn't metric. The only metric nightmare you could run into, is if you get the pug rims that are 390mm in diameter!

Great info and thanks for the link. Is there a tell tale way to tell the dreaded 390s? I'll definitely be looking for the alloys... they fit the car perfectly.

Samo, could I get a profile shot of your car? What size tire do you run?

Samo & Numbchucks, both of you seem to have gotten rid of all the wheel/ fender gap.... any clearance issues? Are you running standard shocks and struts?

-Todd

The 390s are marked as such. All of the wheels will have a size marking on them, just avoid ones that start with 390 :) .

Here's a profile shot:

275IMG_0479.jpg

Ignore the graphics and the ugly chrome door handles, they're gone now :D .

The tires are 185/75R14 Yokohama Guardex K2 F720 snow tires, which are just a hair under 26" in diameter, a significant increase from stock. I'm running stock suspension. I only have rubbing issues when out offroading, and even then, it's pretty minor. There's no noticible damage to the tire, even after 45,000 miles.

the tires in the picture are 195/60/r15's, they are what baccaruda had on them on his wagon:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1908

neither car is lifted, his is now lowered and on 5-lug wheels, and mine was on adjustables, but not adjusted down (lowest position) only problem I found was when I tried to take a load home from college, up the hill out of duluth (called little san fran for a reason!) the wider wheels rubbed on my fenders and the rear tires got hacked to hell. so if you do this, roll your fenders (the tops), or beat them, or get accord springs, or just don't carry 5-600lbs of stuff in the car while climbing large hills at freeway speeds...

as for identifying the wheels, they have 'em stamped on them somewhere, otherwise, if they have tires, just look at the tire size, if the last number is 14 or 15...your good!

Samo, your wheel & tire size looks like what I want to achieve... body height is stock also?

Soobmaster, is thatr a dish on your roof rack?

Numbchucks, Honda Accord springs?

Is there a decent shock/ strut that you guys recomend? I went to my local Pep Boys, and they told me "dealer only", for some reason. My car is a little soft & floats a little although I'm not sure if it's supposed to. I used to driving stiff suspensioned cars.

What do you guys do to correct the speedometer(if anything at all)?

-Todd

Numbchucks, Honda Accord springs?

Is there a decent shock/ strut that you guys recomend? I went to my local Pep Boys, and they told me "dealer only", for some reason. My car is a little soft & floats a little although I'm not sure if it's supposed to. I used to driving stiff suspensioned cars.

What do you guys do to correct the speedometer(if anything at all)?

-Todd

yep, 86-89 (not sure, do a search to be sure, I know I've talked about it) honda accord FRONT springs fit on the BACK of EA82's. being that they are designed to hold up a motor, they're a bit stiffer, and taller. they'll lift your rear end an inch or 2.

there isn't much aftermarket support for these old subarus, so almost the only way to get new shocks is to get genuine subaru parts form a dealer...

speedo's just wrong....but proportionally (sp?), mine (after lift) is 20% off, so only about 5mph at 30, 10 at 50, and almost 20 at 80. but the smaller tires that came on my wheels left the speedo very close to stock. maybe try borrowing a gps and doublechecking it....I know some people with lifts have figured out exactly how much the difference is, and put stickers on the gauge to change where the numbers are, that's an option too.

Thanks guys... learning a lot here.

Any idea what the difference is between the 2wd and the 4wd rear shocks and struts?

I found a set of Monroe rears, but they only list the 2wd model Loyales, but if it's a XT Coupe, they fit both 2 & 4wd.

-Todd