Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant / Radiator question

OK this is what my friend says about rad caps and pressure... and i quote.

"With the cap off, there is no backpressure created by rising water tempurature. What you have is like a bucket of water jumping out of the bucket.

You have convulsions brought about by HOT AIR BUBBLES in areas where water is supposed to be. The overflow is air escaping when it comes to the top. It pushes the water ahead of it out of the

way.

'Normal' overflowing only makes up the difference in water state at different temperatures. The size of the Overflow Container is designed to accomodate 'normal' overflow. When it exceeds that, there's another problem.

And, no overflow occurs until pressure in the radiator exceeds 14-17 psi with the cap in place. When the cap is not in place, there's no backpressure at all. At least, normally.

A properly operating system can run with the cap off and not spill a drop of water, if not run for long enough to exceed normal operating tempuratures.

I can only suggest you study fluid dynamics."

So what do you guys think of that? Not sure if I agree with him cuz when the engine is started cold, the coolant will rise and overflow cuz its building pressure and stuff, even though its not hot and not at normal operating temp. I dont know, i'm very confused.

A properly operating system can run with the cap off and not spill a drop of water, if not run for long enough to exceed normal operating tempuratures.

I am not sure that this is true for newer cars. Back in the 60's the radiator cap was always higher than the highest part of the engine/heating system, so if it was in an unpressurized state, it couldn't get out. They had a level indicator in the radiator neck sometimes because you weren't even supposed to fill all the way up to the cap. But when the radiator is lowered to give a lower hoodline, I think it may get low enough that it gets below other components in the system and can escape if you take the cap off -- even if it's not escaping just sitting there, the movement and flow head caused by pumping it could cause it to come out. If you look carefully, I think the "full" line on the overflow container might is higher than the radiator cap. Also, because the radiator isn't higher than the engine any more, you are more likely to get bubbles in the system too.

I am not sure whether any of this applies to an '85 subaru though, or if it still has the radiator high enough to function like the old systems...

If it's normal for a radiator to not overflow with the cap off, even as it heats up, where is that extra volume of water going? Seems to me that water expands as it heats up and would easily overflow if not held in by pressure from the radiator cap. That's where the pressure comes from.

Ya I think I agree with you Zye. As for Bobby, hm not sure about headgasket, I'm not losing any coolant from the reservoir or the radiator, no white smoke... and if it was a headgasket, wouldnt the coolant be going down instead of overflowing since the engine would be burning it?

Thanks guys.

• 9 months later...
Ya I think I agree with you Zye. As for Bobby, hm not sure about headgasket, I'm not losing any coolant from the reservoir or the radiator, no white smoke... and if it was a headgasket, wouldnt the coolant be going down instead of overflowing since the engine would be burning it?

Thanks guys.

i know this thread is from months ago, but i have the same deal where you start the car (cold) and the coolant slowly rises and overflows if you run it with no cap - takes about 30 seconds to a minute. i don't think its head gaskets because i'm not losing any coolant with the cap on, or any oil---i usually only have to add 1 quart between oil changes (3000-4000 miles). no smoke or anything and no overheating. although it does seem to run hot on the highway, but not quite in the red , and then go back down to normal--i'm thinking the tstat or clogged radiator on that one though.

and i checked the compression today and this is what i got:

1--170.

2--175.

3--180.

4--175.

seems good to me.

oh yeah, its a 92 loyale 5speed i'm talking about here.

in my case the thermostate was not opening up until the last moment (hitting the red line)and then it would suddenly open..later I found out that the thermostate was not the one for a subaru...It was missing the "little wiggly" that lets the air out if the system ...if your thermostate has the wiggly on it, try running it without the thermo. and see what happens..if it runs cooler then it is thermostate related...a broken or wrong thermo

i know this thread is from months ago, but i have the same deal where you start the car (cold) and the coolant slowly rises and overflows if you run it with no cap - takes about 30 seconds to a minute. i don't think its head gaskets because i'm not losing any coolant with the cap on, or any oil---i usually only have to add 1 quart between oil changes (3000-4000 miles). no smoke or anything and no overheating. although it does seem to run hot on the highway, but not quite in the red , and then go back down to normal--i'm thinking the tstat or clogged radiator on that one though.

and i checked the compression today and this is what i got:

1--170.

2--175.

3--180.

4--175.

seems good to me.

oh yeah, its a 92 loyale 5speed i'm talking about here.