Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Very angry at oil pump, very angry

Well I was replacing my oil pump on the EA-81 in my brat.. no big problem... here's the mayhem that insued

pull out 4 bolts

-tap-

(didn't come out)

-tap more/harder-

(didn't come out)

-start prying/tapping-

(didn't come out)

-more of the above-

(one side loosened!)

-tap/pried on other side-

!!!!!!!whole thing snapped in friggin half!!!!!

-tap/pull/wedge/pry-

(thing starts breaking apart as if it were ceramic)

-same thing for awhile-

I figured I'd get it at least broken-out enough to ensure there was no longer any tension from the gasket holding it, just the smooth cylinder in the smooth hole of the engine. Nope - so at this point there should be no 'grab' but the damned thing is seized in there so tight it wont come out for piss.... any suggestions????

- Erik -

This has happened to me a couple of times, :banghead: , bloody annoying isn't it. The reason it happens is because there is an 'o' ring at the end of the cylinder which makes the whole oil pump removing thing a pain in the arse. The only way l have gotten around this potential disaster is to crack the cylinder in it's bore and remove it in 2 pieces, good luck.

This has happened to me a couple of times, :banghead: , bloody annoying isn't it. The reason it happens is because there is an 'o' ring at the end of the cylinder which makes the whole oil pump removing thing a pain in the arse. The only way l have gotten around this potential disaster is to crack the cylinder in it's bore and remove it in 2 pieces, good luck.

Thanks - I dont' feel much better though, its sort of like hearing "its easy, first you kidnap the pope and assume his position with no one noticing - then its a piece of cake" :drunk:

Thanks though, I'll take that bit of direction and work on it that way

- Erik -

btw - to you twisty folks - I understand what your saying, it wouldn't twist though. This is why I tried the twisting while pulling (thats actually when it broke).

The block-bolts loosening idea also occurred to me but luckily I realized that if it did pull apart just enough to give me some room, that same amount of room could quickly be occupied by metal shards (which would suck as then the block wouldn't seal back together right) so thats a last resort - but its good to know there are people thinking like I am

I'm going to borrow tools from my buddy down the street since my drill died and try the tap/slidehamer/puller method.

Redskin - how'd you get the cylinder to crack in its bore??

- Erik -

Hey guys - thanks for the help. I ended up using a $5 drill, my harbor friehgt taping set, and 2 long arse 10mm screws from an old engine and some iffy random washers plus the steering wheel puller I bought for my caprice... god I love shade-tree mechanic ways of doing things....

what I dont like - how far I had to rip down the front of the car to get the drill etc in there; things taken off: Radiator & hoses, headlight bezels, grille, bumper, air cleaner of course, crank pulley, belt... ah well, nothing I havent done way too many times for any non-soob person :lol:

- Erik -

heh. Brian/monstaru has an engine in his garage whose oil pump was apparently GLUED IN by some squirrel with a wrench at Les Schwab. Yep, that sucker broke right in half inside the block, and it is not pretty. Apparently, the former owner of that engine's car had all the work done at a Les Schwab, and some jerk used the strong stuff on the oil pump gasket. I watched him trying to remove it the right way, and it snapped right in front of us. The oil pump WAS fairly new, too.

*picture a couple of hillbillies in a garage, old guy says to the new guy, "use this hyar tube t' seal EVERYTHANG"*