Ultimate Subaru Message Board

seafoam ?

Well my 87 gl wagon has been making some HLA noise on and off for about a week.

This car had been sitting for a long time before I bought it. I have no idea how well it was maintained.

Two day after my first oil change it stated making HLA noise. I tried draining some oil and adding AFT to the crank case and let it run for 20 mins.

HLA noise gone, for 1 day.

This weekend I drove about 200 miles with no noise and now only get noise ever once in while. Some times when I first start up and some times not.

I would like to "clean" the HLAs with some seafoam, but I don’t know if I can add it to the motor with it full of oil or if I need to drain some out?

Any advise / comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-=fred=-

if you had a bottle, you could read the directions and follow them.

its best to use right before an oil change. you run it in the hot engine a few minutes before you drain the oil.

you dont want to drive around with it(too much anyway) in the crank case because it thins your oil, and can starve bearings and things for oil.

it works pretty good, but will not preform miracles. since your hlas sound like a mild case, it'll probably work well, might take a few oil changes tho...

Thanks for the quick reply.

I read the bottle and it says "One pint treats 10 quarts of oil (Avg. 1 1/2 oz. per qt.)

It did not say if you needed to drive around with it or idle or for how long.

After doing a search some one said to drive for 100 miles with it, I was not sure if that meant I needed to drain some oil or just add and drive.

-=fred=-

Thanks for the good info.

-=fred=-

I add 1/3 directly into the carb, 1/3 into the crankcase oil, and a third in the gas tank. QUOTE]

I did it this way with some <i>really</i> nosiy lifters. Drove 500 miles and then changed the oil It worked wonders. Didn't drain anything out because the car was about half a quart low at the time.

Aaahhhh, SEAFOAM!!! That is some of the best stuff that I have ever used. Since you are putting it in the oil, add it to the oil and let the car idle for about 5 minutes at idle speed(800RPMs). Don't race(rev up) the engine during this time as the oil will be getting thinner and you could score and possibly ruin vital engine bearings, like crank, camshaft, connecting rod, etc. Afterwards, immediatly shut the engine off and drain the oil. Change oil filter, pour in new oil and VOILA!!! Mission Complete!

i disagree on one can of SEAFOAM doing any engine damage if left in the car or driven for a regular oil change interval. i've added seafoam and ATF (two bottles seafoam or 2 quarts of ATF) in ER27's back in the day with no problems. 200,000 miles later no problems with the blocks. that was years ago, but no problems on those motors. now i typically reseal the oil pump when i get one and don't have issues anymore. i have an OBS, 4 XT6's and no ticking.