Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Give opinion... folks need car.

Without getting into a really lousy story....my parents need a car. mom wants a 4wd CAR. (wonder what she really wants hint:subaru) this car will be used and under $10k (the more under...the better)

Here is what we found: (all listed are AWD/automatic)

95 legacy LS 32K. nice shape but a little pricy (at a soob dealer) $8900* Has a deposit on it but sales mgr. didn't think the guy would be able to get the money.

99 Impreza L wagon. upper 40K sight unseen (not traded yet) $9900 (soob dealer)

98ish (could be a 99 to a 97) OBS. 58k (mom and pop car lot) $6395

The top 2 weren't haggled with at all (this is their asking price) and the bottem one is what they offered to sell it for straight sale/cash money.

The OBS has 2 dings that the dent DR. is going ot fix and one bump that needs bodyshop attn. I figure it will cost about $200-300 (it really isn't bad it just looks bad b/c there is spray paint on it)

My question: is cheaper really better? and what should I look for with these specifically when the time comes to get down and dirty?????

Cheaper is not always better, but here is one thing you need to beware of, stay away from the early 2.5 engines. Looking at your list, I don't believe any of those have that engine in them, the Imprezas will not (only came in the RS). The 95 is a little pricey, wish I could get that much for my 95 (which is not for sale). All those cars would make good transportation, but is there really a need for a wagon?

matt,

he laid it all out for you, but i'd stay away from the 2.5's, they have issues the 2.2's just don't have. i'd look for a private sale subaru personally, i don't like dealing with dealers/salesmen. if you have time you can get great deals and great cars from private sellers. get service records and that kind of jazz. anything approaching 60k and up will need timing belt checked, so keep that in mind.

i'll have a '96 legacy wagon for sale shortly, but it's probably not as nice as they're looking for, 95,000 miles.

wow...that 95 with so low miles would be sweet if it was a manual.

I have to agree with what everyone else says....anything with a 2.2 engine in it is worth looking at.

I'd also strongly suggest signing up to CarFax to get a background check on each car you're seriously considering. It's only $25 for unlimited VIN number look ups for a month.

I searched hard for my Subaru and first got a '97 Impreza Outback Sport...sweet car! Unfortunately a reckless driver ploughed into that one not long after I got it....next on the list was a '98 Legacy L. Great car! Can haul everything and the kitchen sink in it. At 30 mpg & an AWD I can't complain. That's the best AWD/4WD I could find with that gas mileage. Each of my Subies have been great cars to own and haven't regreted getting any of them :)

Subarules!

Urban Coyote

my dad knows all about the HG problems.... he saw it happen to me so he said "If I buy a subaru i don't want one that has the same engine as your 2 did"

I checked out the KBB on that one with 32k on it. they are way out of line on that thing.... I think we are going to drive the OBS on sat. just to check it out a little bit more.

One of the biggest issues with shopping with my dad is he is lazy/busy. he doesn't like to venture too far from home b/c he thinks "you should be able to find the same thing closer to home"

The OBS is less than 7 min with stopping for all the red lights it is that close to me. the other 2 are a little further but he went there with me b/c I had to P/U the impreza... (which was a scarry deal all of its own)

Can't the 2.2's of that vintage go to 75K for the t-belt? I told him about svc'ing the trans and the diffs etc. which I will gladly do for him.

Great points everyone....keep 'em comming

Can't the 2.2's of that vintage go to 75K for the t-belt? I told him about svc'ing the trans and the diffs etc. which I will gladly do for him.

Great points everyone....keep 'em comming

I believe the timing belt interval on that engine is 60k (?). Can anyone confirm/deny this?

-Heikki

The interval is definitely 60k. I just had my fourth one done (240,000) on my '95 Legacy L wagon. There is a California spec belt which is rated to go for a longer interval (I believe 100k).

At this service interval I had pretty much everything replaced that could be easily reached when doing the timing belt (engine seals, water pump, other belts). I've been driving like an old lady on the interstate and I'm getting 32 mpg, and not burning any oil. Barring an accident, I fully expect to get 300,000 miles out of it pretty easily.

I believe the timing belt interval on that engine is 60k (?). Can anyone confirm/deny this?

-Heikki

UPDATE (if anyone cares.....):

Tonight mom and pop brought home their new to them soob....and it wasn't even one of the ones on the list. (it just sort of fell from the sky)

99 legacy 30th ann. edition (2.2) just turned 60k and got it for about $7800ish (I wasn't along when they got it) Local car when new (Reading PA) and was traded at a Toyota dealer in Reading then wholesaled to this lot about 2 miles away from my house. Told ya he (my dad) was a little lazy....

Anyhow woohoooo for a sweet ride for my folks. :D

on the 1-5 bananna scale: totally--> :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: