Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The eg33 in my svx is a simply amazing engine. Great power band, awesome smoothness and the thing just sings. Sounds like a porsche almost.

If you were only talking about the 3.0, then I would say that is a great engine too. There isnt much acceleration difference beteen the 2.5 and the 3.0 in the outbacks, but you'll find it downshifting less and such when you're driving on the highway. It is easier to keep your speed without downshifting. The engine is smooth, although not as smooth as the svx motor. If i were to get an outback right now, I would, without a doubt, get the 6 cylinder model.

Mike

Well, if I got an outback, I would definitely get the H6. Frankly, that would be my main motivation for going to outback.

I don't really like the outback on looks because it's too "stationwagony" and I have a tendency to smack my head on the roofline while getting in.

To tell the truth, I might decide I'm better off with a volvo xc90, but the problem with that is that repair costs tend to go up. Not because they're unreliable, but because european parts and labor tend to be higher than on japanese and american vehicles.

• 4 weeks later...

I have only test driven a 2004 H6 Outback a couple of times - a bit quieter and smoother than my 96 OB 2.5. I have to agree I didn't feel much difference in acceleration over the 2.5.

I'm trying to decide if I should purchase a 2004 H6 now or wait until the 2005 model comes out - that H6 will have variable valve timing and 245hp.

Paul

Is your OBW a manual? Just curious how it compares in acceleration since the H6 only comes in automatic trans.

I'll bet alot of that off the line power gets eaten up in the torque converter and transmission. Loaded down with gear going up a mountain pass is where the difference is probably the greatest.

Anyone ever see the HP comparison at the wheels?

I know they claim the H6 3.0 is a 'new' design but, since 3.0 is 50% more than a 2.0 H4, its reasonable to expect they would've borrowed at least SOME of the geometry/design approach used in that or a similar sized engine. Maybe that gives it a little better chance at avoiding the head gasket problem that seems to be plagueing the 2.5 .

Still, there may be so few out there it's too soon to say much. So far, I like mine, though I think the AT and the cruise control behave crudely, compared to other cars I've had.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

and a lot of folks have no idea what anything means.

Perhaps you and I know that a four can be made to put out as much power as a six but not everyone does. Two more cylinders must be better.

In this case it may be. If Subaru left more area around the bores there is a fine chance that the six will have no more head gasket trouble than a 2.2.

Having been though a few gas crisis times I hope to be able to keep a four.

The turbo 2.5 is a good sign becuse if they don't do some serious fixes on that thing it will have to come with a case of head gaskets.

This means there is a good chance the fixes will help us earlier 2.5 owners.

will be on top of things and it will be the dealer's problem.

Since I bought with no warranty it was my problem.

I suspect the head gasket was weeping when I bought my car but it was so small it was very hard to notice.

When I saw the coolent level go down a tiny amount in two weeks I had it inspected on a lift with a light.

We could see it then.

A good long warranty would be nice.