Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Craigslist "Subaru Quotient"

In thinking about selling my 97 OBW, I got curious about where Subarus were most popular.

This led to a perusal of various Craigslist listings for different cities that you might expect to have a lot of them. One thing that can't be accounted for, of course, is the relative awareness or popularity of Craigslist. For example, in Vermont there are tons of Subarus, but the list is nw and not well known. In San Fransisco, there are quite a few Subarus for sale, but a huge # of listings. And you can't get a total # of cars for sale - just the total # of For Sale items.

That said, the top three (everything else was well behind, that I checked) were:

1. Denver - 217 of 43,853 - 0.4948%

2. Portland OR - 278 of 78,140 - 0.3559%

3. Boston - 96 of 34,397 - 0.2790%

Why yes, I currently do have too much time on my hands.....

In thinking about selling my 97 OBW, I got curious about where Subarus were most popular.

This led to a perusal of various Craigslist listings for different cities that you might expect to have a lot of them. One thing that can't be accounted for, of course, is the relative awareness or popularity of Craigslist. For example, in Vermont there are tons of Subarus, but the list is nw and not well known. In San Fransisco, there are quite a few Subarus for sale, but a huge # of listings. And you can't get a total # of cars for sale - just the total # of For Sale items.

That said, the top three (everything else was well behind, that I checked) were:

1. Denver - 217 of 43,853 - 0.4948%

2. Portland OR - 278 of 78,140 - 0.3559%

3. Boston - 96 of 34,397 - 0.2790%

Why yes, I currently do have too much time on my hands.....

Peanuts! I just checked out our "national" online trading site here in New Zealand (http://www.trademe.co.nz - it is probably more popular here per capita than eBay is in the USA). Of 31,910 cars for sale, 2,398 are Subarus (7.5%). We *love* Subarus. I was recently in the USA and hardly saw any (fewer than 5 in Phoenix, a few more in LA). Here in Christchurch, NZ they are all over the place - the percentage of Subaru ads on the site for this part of the country is 10%. Many of the Subarus here are imported from Japan.

What engine is common in the NZ Subarus?

I don't know what the New Zealand-new ones have. As I noted above, many Subarus here are imported second-hand from Japan. Our 1996 Impreza HX-20S has the EJ20 engine. It's non-turbo.

Well, it makes sense that you won't see Subarus in Phoenix - what good is AWD in Arizona unless you're going to be driving on the open sand?

Here in upstate NY, there are loads of Subarus. They seem to be as common as Hondas on the roads around here.

If you have any desire to learn about how subaru's have been marketed in the past, pick up "where the sucker's moon", a great book about the launch of the legacy & the marketing campaign around it.

The upshot is that until very recently (like the last 10 years), subarus have focused nearly all of their marketing energy on rural areas, and places with terrible weather. Their attempts to sell anywere else went nowhere.

(and, as an historical footnote, the reason that Subarus got their start in rural areas had little to do with AWD -- rather, their quality was so poor in the beginning, that the subaru execs thought that it would be best to sell the cars in the sticks, where no one read Consumer Reports. AWD's popularity just flowed naturally from the demographics of their existing customers.

Of course, your numbers do not take into account "per capita" what city has the most per person? bozeman mt may not have many for sale, but for the 35k population, i'm sure the ratio is higher than even seattle.

it also didn't take into account the fact that craigslist in general is more popular in some cities than others regardless of size. boston's craigslist is the second most popular craigslist, second only to san francisco (the original)... it's even more popular than NYC's (the largest city in the country). so in those cities where craigslist isn't all that popular (such as cities that are relatively new to craigslist), there might be other sites to find used cars.

it also didn't take into account the fact that craigslist in general is more popular in some cities than others regardless of size. boston's craigslist is the second most popular craigslist, second only to san francisco (the original)... it's even more popular than NYC's (the largest city in the country). so in those cities where craigslist isn't all that popular (such as cities that are relatively new to craigslist), there might be other sites to find used cars.

Umm, that's why I divided the total # of subarus listed by the total number of items for sale? And called it a quotient?

Boston is not second most popular. It currently lists 36,794 items for sale.

Porland OR has 80,000; NYC has 59K; Austin TX has 38K; Chicago 39K, LA 40K; and of course SF has over 100,000.

Umm, that's why I divided the total # of subarus listed by the total number of items for sale? And called it a quotient?

Porland OR has 80,000; NYC has 59K; Austin TX has 38K; Chicago 39K, LA 40K; and of course SF has over 100,000.

People around here lOVE their Subies. When I was in the market I would see them all over town...but for some strange reason very few would be in the used car lots. If you did come across one it was in really bad shape or had something going seriously wrong with it. The good used Subies would absolutely fly off the lots. I was lucky with mine, I bugged the local Subaru salesman so much that I got mine before it even went on sale on the lot. The old owners brought it in, the dealer cleaned and tuned it up, and I took it right from there. I probably wouldn't have gotten it if it actually hit the sales lot...someone else would have!

Urban Coyote

People around here lOVE their Subies. When I was in the market I would see them all over town...but for some strange reason very few would be in the used car lots. If you did come across one it was in really bad shape or had something going seriously wrong with it.

I've noticed around here there are a lot less soobs for sale in the past couple months than there usually are. I check the local nickel, the medford nickel, and some local online want ads. The local nickel hasn't listed an old-gen car in a couple months, and most of the old-gens in the medford nickel are insanely high price wise. It seems people have discovered them and are hanging onto them.

i stand corrected, boston was the second craigslist created... i knew it was second soemthing, i thought it was most popular because it is in the top 5 most popular ones.

I don't know what the New Zealand-new ones have. As I noted above, many Subarus here are imported second-hand from Japan. Our 1996 Impreza HX-20S has the EJ20 engine. It's non-turbo.
Does your's have the dual range tranny option??? The D/R was optional on the early HX models.

Does your's have the dual range tranny option??? The D/R was optional on the early HX models.

No - ours is a single-range 4-spd auto with a "Power" button on the shifter, which just changes the computer's shift map (shifts up at higher revs).