Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear CV Axle Problems!!!!! Help!!!

Ok, so I swapped the transmission on my brat from a 3AT to a 4speed manual D/R......everything went ok aside from a few minor problems, but when trying to swap the rear diff. out, I ran into a brick wall when I tried to get the CV's off of the diff. I tapped the pins out, and everything...and they are on but good! I even pulled the hub out on one side in hopes of pulling the diff. with the CV's attached...but there is not enough clearance to pull the shaft out all the way.

I even used a hammer, and a bigger hammer, and a really big hammer.....but still no go.

Any ideas, or tricks?

Thanks

Rick

pull out the trailing arms

take the diff/axle(and trailing arm if it doens t come off the axle) assemblyout of the car and there you will have room to swing the hammer.

this assembly removed from the tube frame itself

used a 3 lb hammer and whack, rotate, whack, rotate

propane torch and pb blaster!

use anti-sieze or re-assembly

Those sound like good ideas, except for maybe the torch......I want to be able to use the one CV, but the other's boot is torn badly so maybe I can try it on the torn one. Tried the PB blaster, even soaked it overnight in the stuff, and still, no go.

The trailing arm sounds like a good plan, as I have the hub ripped apart....so I'll try that, and see what it does from there.

Thanks, and more ideas are welcome!

Rick

Those sound like good ideas, except for maybe the torch......I want to be able to use the one CV, but the other's boot is torn badly so maybe I can try it on the torn one. Tried the PB blaster, even soaked it overnight in the stuff, and still, no go.

The trailing arm sounds like a good plan, as I have the hub ripped apart....so I'll try that, and see what it does from there.

Thanks, and more ideas are welcome!

Rick

seriously, the torch won't destroy the CV, well, not a Mapp or propane one. just heat up the metal (the narrow part on the end, not the whole cup) a bunch, you'd be suprised how much that can help.

Hey Turboxt I will be more than happy to help you Monday afternoon if you don't get it off of there.I guess if that doesn't work I can go to the JY and try to pull some other ones off some vehicles.Now I wish I would have grabbed the ones off the wagon we got you pedal cluster off of and you rear diff.Oh well. Just let me know. I can bring my tools if you would like.

Drop the diff and trailing arms. Get it all out from under and have at it. 1" chizel and 4lb hammer. Strike the bulky DOJ cups (they arnet CVs back there :) ) at an angle with the chizel in the direction you want them to slide off. Do not use a screwdriver to pry anthing as mentioned above; you will just ruin your dust guards and they will still be stuck on there. I prever the chizel becuase you arent swinging near the dust guards with a 4lb hammer; which can easily destroy them in one swing.

Good luck.... use the force !_!

Well, I got them off! Kingbobdole came by and we pretty much riped the axles apart, and the one end is still on the hub axle, and the diff still has the stubs as well. I don't know how these were on, but it would almost seem as if they were welded on! At least they are off now....but it's snowing and I won't have 4WD :( until I get new rear CV's. Still have a ton of problems to work out, but I'll post those in a new post.

Jerry, I will give you a call today.

Thanks guys!

Rick