Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Locked Rear Questions

MSSLGECKO

So...3.89 gears?

not..3.90 gears?

What's a tenth anyway...:lol:

Watching, Wondering,

Waiting how this will all turn out...

Developing a Locker would be a major step forward for Subieists.

Keep on Raging!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--welded

84 GL Mad Max--open

01 Forester--Limited

I think it would be a major step as well... I'm contemplating just throwing in a 4.11 tranny as there are _TONS_ of audi locking rear diffs with this gear ratio.. but I refuse to give up my locking center..

I'm saying use different size tires to compensate for the difference so the system won't know the difference?

I suppose that's possible, yes.. not sure I'd want to go that route though.. I'm wondering if I can just put the gears from my diff into the housing for the audi.. but I still have to take them apart and see what's what

If you ran it offroad it wouldnt matter at all really. Any bind up in the drive train would slip free due to the loose terrain. Lots of offroad vehicles run different gear ratios between front and rear diffs.

I'm worried about streetability though.. this will be my daily driver..

If you keep it in 2wd while on the street, you should be ok.

So anyone know the spline count of the audi 3.89 rear diff and the diameter of the stub axle?

How about the drive shaft input flange?

This could be the start of a new revolution.

If you keep it in 2wd while on the street' date=' you should be ok.

So anyone know the spline count of the audi 3.89 rear diff and the diameter of the stub axle?

This could be the start of a new revolution.[/quote']

I have a 3.89 locking rear audi diff... but it's in the car I'm driving daily..... with regards to keeping it in 2wd, I can't, because I have an AWD xt6

If you keep it in 2wd while on the street' date=' you should be ok.

This could be the start of a new revolution.[/quote']

I can check on the diameter of the stub axle and the drive shaft input flange though...

and I'm glad to know that some of you think this is a good idea as I've been throwing it around in my head ever since I started driving the audi

as far as easy access to removing an axel, has anyone ever thought of using somethng like a hood pin design? that way u could just pull the pin and remove the axel... no more rotating of tires to get to the pin....just a thought

Yes; I think it's Singletrack who runs cotter pins instead of spring pins.

Yes; I think it's Singletrack who runs cotter pins instead of spring pins.
Hell yeah, I started using them just for the locker axle, but they work so well I just run 'um all around now.

No, a spring pin is not hard to use, but they do seize sometimes or your punch breaks or gets stuck inside the pin or you whack your thumb with the hammer or.....

Well, any way I just lean in there with the needle-nose, and it's done.