Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best way to synchronize my locks?

classic problem, the drapes don't match the curtains... no wait...

the locks don't match the ignition... that's it...

one key for all the door locks...

one key for the ignition...

should I have the ignition re-keyed by a locksmith? or is that too expensive? anybody do this before?

what are the odds of me finding an ignition at a junkyard with the same key as my locks? and what is the going rate for an ignition switch? I haven't even looked in my Chilton's to see how tough it is to replace...

what's the going rate for a full set of used locks/ignition with key from somebody here on the board? do the power locks make a difference or are they the same as manual locks?

I'm tired of dealing with 2 keys all the time...

so what's my best option here?

thanks!

i collect keys from rando, soobs at the junkyard. i do do as the cars will be gone right away or i will be the only one back for them

random junkyard key worked in my sedan's door. another one worked in trashwagons ignition

my 88 sedan and 87 rx have both the same key cut as either of their keys works in both the locks and ign in either car

I've had two separate keys for my wagon since replacing my ig switch a few years ago. I actually don't mind it at all, kinda brings me back to some of the cars I had in the 60's and 70's:rolleyes: .

Why complicate things (at added cost)..you'll get used to it:) .

This also sort of came up in passing in the other lock thread going on here right now. Edrach said it costs something like $100 for his locksmith to get a new ig cylinder and re-key it. That's probably what you'd be looking at to make your ig match your doors.

IMO, not worth it. 2 keys for my subaru still takes less space in my pocket than 1 key + 1 keyless entry fob for my Kia. Plus it's more secure.

I just found out that my car has the same key as my girlfriend's '98 impreza, so I guess I'll try and keep my locks the same and find a matching ignition...

flowmastered, I'd be interested in picking up your lock set if it's easy to access... or at least trying my key in your ignition to see if it matches my doors... in addition to wanting the ignition to match I also wouldn't mind the driver's door lock being a bit easier to work...

xoomer, seattle is a bit far to go for a locksmith, but I may shop around down here for a cheap place that can do an ignition for me... thanks!

I just found out that my car has the same key as my girlfriend's '98 impreza, so I guess I'll try and keep my locks the same and find a matching ignition...

flowmastered, I'd be interested in picking up your lock set if it's easy to access... or at least trying my key in your ignition to see if it matches my doors... in addition to wanting the ignition to match I also wouldn't mind the driver's door lock being a bit easier to work...

xoomer, seattle is a bit far to go for a locksmith, but I may shop around down here for a cheap place that can do an ignition for me... thanks!

Oops.. But hey they do the best work Around SEATTLE at least in my opinion...