Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey there, was wondering if anyone could help me out. Usually when I step on the brake in my 90 legacy, it unlocks the auto-trans to be able to shift out of park. It just stopped doing it, and I have to do it manually with the button in front of the shifter. thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds like the shift lock system is messing up. It could be the controller, it might be one of the sensors too.
Getting to the party a bit late but here goes:

Where are the sensors and controllers located? I am starting to experience some of the same now on my '93 and would like to start some process of elimination.

TIA

Its a fairly simple sytem, consisting of the brake light switch, a switch oin PRNDL selector a relay and a solenoid froom last i looked. If you put your push the button with the car in park no brake pedal you shouuld hear a relay click. With your foot on the brake pedal it wont clikc buty should some out of gear. The first thing i would chase down is the interlock relay, then next the brake light switch. The solenoid is very light duty and i really havent heard of one going bad, but there is always a fisst time.

nipper

I had this happen to my wife's 93. Also along with it the blower fan also went out and the abs light came on. After checking a few things I found that there was no power going into the fuse box. Reseated the plug going into fuse box ad fixed problem. So it could be a fuse that has blown not to allow the brake pedal to release shifter.

cjt