Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4 wheel steering

The one on the before mentioned honda does not turn very much either and it does not engage until it the front turns 30deg i believe. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it especially the off roaders, it obviously would help with manuverability. I would not be surprised if the NEW outbacks did have it I was just curious about the possibility of adding the feature to an older subie weather the technology came from a honda or completly custom to inhance its off road behavior.

OK the new outbacks, and many cars have something called 4 wheel steering, buts its not what you think. It is a passive system that is done with sterring and suspension geometry. The more the car leans, the more the tires toe either in or out.

Honda accord, and GM trucks have optional active rear wheel steering. This stering can turn in synch or out synch with the front wheels. It is a very complicated system, and really for the wieght it ads and complexity, its not worth it. Thats why everyone sues the more simplier passive system.

nipper

if someone is going to mess with this here are teh cars i know of that had 4ws

honda preludes,

mazda mx6(no shure the years)

mitsu 3000GTVR4

STELTH Turbo(all options) bassicaly VR4

NEW GMC TRUCKS 1/2 ton only.

Top of the range nissan skylines GTR i think they are

Do any of the active systems give you control over which way the back wheels turn? The big 4wd boom forklifts I've driven have a button that you can either keep the back wheels straight, turn them the opposet way as the front wheels for tighter turns, or the same way, to drive sideways. That'd help for parallel parking:D

Back in the day *or currently in the day* the way that the monster trucks like bigfoot and gravedigger and such use a switch mounted on the window, flip it forward the tires throw about 10 degrees out to the right, same for the opposite switch to the left...

it would help under like...slow rock-crawling conditions... but then you're throwing servo's and actuators and crap into the mix.... an idea! lol but not for me ;)