Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 Justy AWD Automatic... Should I buy?

Does the 1992 Justy exist as a regular automatic, not the ECVT?

I'm looking at buying one for $500 cdn with 190k on it, 4wd, and it's in really good shape.

Also, is the ECVT worth the hassle? I hear it's faster than the 5 speed.

Unfortunately this is the only Subaru for sale in my area within my price range. Victoria isn't exactly the cheapest place to buy a car...

Also, the seller thinks it may need a head gasket since there's a little oil residue near the top of the engine block. That doesn't sound quite right to me... Sound right to anyone else here? He also burns out headlights about once a year, which is apparently a common problem, and he managed to kill the speedo/odo while installing a cd-player. That should be fixable...

I think it would be definately worth buying if it's a regular automatic transmission, but would it still be worth buying if it's an ECVT?

*edit*

How can I tell if it's an ECVT?

I don't think the ECVT has any way for you to manually select lower gears.

Not having driven or worked on one myself, I'm not really an authority, but from what I've heard, they're really not all that bad, but if it ever breaks you're screwed trying to find parts. However, you could always just swap to a 5 speed if the tranny pukes on you.

I'd say go for it if the car's in good shape. For $500, it's hard to go wrong.

ECVT was a great idea and nightmare. The electric/powder clutch was the problem, not so much the ecvt itself. The only manual gear selection on the ecvt i do beleive was low, since there are no gears in the ecvt, just a steel toothed rubberband.

If the ecvt made it this far in life, i would buy it, as the head gasket is not a big repairto do on a simple little engine. Later on in life if the ecvt goes poof, you can alwyas bolt in the 5 speed, which is a common thing to do.

tell you waht, tell me where it is name adress and phone, ill pick it up and teste it for a few months ... :burnout: and let you know

nipper

Well, the car's in BC and you're in NY..... I'll have the car inspected, have someone check out the tranny and head gasket (I still don't think that's an issue). How hard is it to swap out that clutch though? Or to switch to a 5 speed?

ECVT was a great idea and nightmare. The electric/powder clutch was the problem, not so much the ecvt itself. The only manual gear selection on the ecvt i do beleive was low, since there are no gears in the ecvt, just a steel toothed rubberband.

If the ecvt made it this far in life, i would buy it, as the head gasket is not a big repairto do on a simple little engine. Later on in life if the ecvt goes poof, you can alwyas bolt in the 5 speed, which is a common thing to do.

tell you waht, tell me where it is name adress and phone, ill pick it up and teste it for a few months ... :burnout: and let you know

darn it:banghead: some day somone will fall for that. If the head gasket is weeping oil, i would let ti go untill i wanted to replace it.

From waht ive been reading its not that big a deal, the problem is getting a doaner car. Persoanlly ild love the cvt myself.

nippe

5 bills here ??!!

sounds alright to me

4WD to boot !!

i have yet to see a decent (un-super-rusty) anything here for 5 bills

i paid a G for my loyale

kinda rusty (can only see through a few spots)

would do it again in a second !!

worth every penny and more !! and parts are a decent price at Malahat or saltair (chemainus) if you want to travel that far

i unfortunately don't know any good wheeling around here

and i want to do some !! (as much as push-button will allow)

anybody from around here know some ??

(sorry to hi-jack by the way)

What else can you get that's a 40mpg commuter car, that also has 4wd?

And has ZERO rust?

I don't think it's the head gasket. The oil the seller is complaining about is at the top of the engine around the oil cap. I think it's just spillage... How would I check out the tranny to see if it's good though?

That and the speedometer died when he installed a cd-player...

I just got an 88 justy 5spd 4x4 from nanaimo for $350 (listed for 500) Mine was low rust, owner said HG but it was just a bad thermostat. Popped a new one in and I was off. Of course it has some other small issues though (stupid stupid carb :banghead: ) but still well worth it.

If this justy you're looking at is not rusty and FI :slobber: its well worth it as long as its not pushing blue, has a rod knock, or a busted tranny. If it has one of these and you have some time and know how, talk 'em down and do some work and you will have a good little car.

Okay, turns out it needed a clutch and an engine, according to the Midas guys. Main bearing's gone, and the clutch temp light stays on all the time. Very poor acceleration, and a loud knocking when it runs.

Not up for grabs though, since the guy's uncle bought it from him.

Worth looking at anyways!