Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The 3 major wear items on the subies are CV's clutches and timing belts.

if it clicks it needs an axle somewhere

the clutch is self explanitory

the timing belts should be replaced every 60k, if they don't know when it was replaced, or it needs replacing soon, try to get about 400 bucks knocked off.

For a 90 i wouldn't pay much more than 1000

The 3 major wear items on the subies are CV's clutches and timing belts.

if it clicks it needs an axle somewhere

the clutch is self explanitory

the timing belts should be replaced every 60k, if they don't know when it was replaced, or it needs replacing soon, try to get about 400 bucks knocked off.

For a 90 i wouldn't pay much more than 1000

Here in Colorado a car like that, if it doesn't have any major issues, would go for about $1500 or perhaps $2000. A loyale would be about $500 less than the same year legacy. Of course, you should try to get it for less if possible.

Check for oil around the timing belt covers. Fairly common for the crank seals and camshaft seals to go. Unless you have proof the timing belt has been done recently i would replace it if you buy the car, the seals can be done at the same time.

The valve cover gaskets sometimes need to be replaced, not a big deal.

Check all the fluids, coolant, oil, trans fluid, power steering, rear diff. Just to get an idea of the maint. done to the car.

Make sure all 4 tires are identical. If they are not, there could be drivetrain problems coming.

Don't worry these are good cars, good luck.

Thank you for taking time out for me this car is only 450 bucks so i guess if somthing does happen then i could still put a little money in it. i drove the car once a few days ago and it drove verry nice i was suprised. it does need a cluch but that should be no big deal and im guessing that wont cost more than 200 if i do it my self. well hope to post somthing about it in the next couple weeks and again thanks

Thank you for taking time out for me this car is only 450 bucks so i guess if somthing does happen then i could still put a little money in it. i drove the car once a few days ago and it drove verry nice i was suprised. it does need a cluch but that should be no big deal and im guessing that wont cost more than 200 if i do it my self. well hope to post somthing about it in the next couple weeks and again thanks

I would jump on that, great deal IMO.

it does need a cluch but that should be no big deal and im guessing that wont cost more than 200 if i do it my self. well hope to post somthing about it in the next couple weeks and again thanks

A decent clutch kit by itself will run you about $300. Add to that getting the flywheel turned so you have a good surface for the new clutch to grip, and you are close to $400 all told. Still a great price. These prices reflect the costs here in California, so YMMV. . . That engine is all but indestructable, so you sould have quite a few good miles left in it. Yes, buy that car at that price (or less if you can get them to go any lower :brow: )