Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So far everyone here has given be very good advice, so I'm going to try again. I have a 95 Impreza that up until 3 days ago ran like a top! I was driving home from work the other day, went up an entrance ramp and slowed down to make a right turn and all the suddeen my car Died. I rolled over to the shoulder, thinking what the hell, it started up again and I went on my way. Now when the car idles in park or nuetral it runs OK, but when I try to go into gear or am waiting at a stoplight in gear it trys to die, unless I move to nuetral or park. This morning, now it even wants to die ide in park. On the highway it seems to run fine...Any ideas? Could it be bad gas, I got gas last time at a place I don't usually get gas from. Fuel filter? Any ideas would be much appreciated...Thanks again for any help.

It is worth trying a 'gas dryer' if you suspect bad gas. Cheap and easy. Pulling off one plug wire at a time while idling, will tell you if the problem is specific to an individual cylinder. When THAT plugwire is removed, there will be no change in the idle - cause that cyl. was not firing anyway. If you DO have one bad cyl. the engine will likely die each time a 'good' cyl is diabled. Be careful, high voltage can cause you to jerk your hand away such that you hit something else and get a cut.

If there is no definitive problem with a single cyl. likely it is a general air/fuel problem. Do you have a check engine light on?

OK today my problems just got worse, now my car will not stay running at all...I start it and it runs really rough for about 3 seconds and dies...The only way I can keep it running is if I give it gas...I checked all my plug wires but haven't checked the IAC, my Chiltons say's it's incorporated into the Throttle Body.

Well I think I may have figured out my problem...The person who owned the vehicle before me, put some sort of jury rigged cold air induction system on the car and got rid of the factory one...I was checking that system, because there are numerous bolts and such plugging holes all around (???), I was checking the connection to the throttle body and the whole thing just came apart in my hand. I put everything back together and tightened it up and the car ran much better. I guess the car must have been sucking air through a leak somewhere and was bypassing the MAS...Could this have caused my problem?

Well I think I may have figured out my problem...The person who owned the vehicle before me, put some sort of jury rigged cold air induction system on the car and got rid of the factory one...I was checking that system, because there are numerous bolts and such plugging holes all around (???), I was checking the connection to the throttle body and the whole thing just came apart in my hand. I put everything back together and tightened it up and the car ran much better. I guess the car must have been sucking air through a leak somewhere and was bypassing the MAS...Could this have caused my problem?

Yep..Massive Vac. Leaks=no running.