Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel Bearing troubles

so I'm in the process of trying to replace the front wheel bearings on my wagon, and it's giving me hell...I'm doin the passenger side, and it just won't come apart! I got the outer oil seal off, and everything else is stuck. the inner seal is just falling apart, but still won't come out, and I can't even get the bearings to budge (I was thinking maybe if I tapped 'em out a bit, the seal might come out easier).

Anyway, this if my first time doin this, so it's quite possible I've got something wrong....any ideas?

Need a big chisel and 4+lb hammer. Pound from the inside out. That middle spacer (inbetween your bearings) moves around inside; so you move it to the side, hammer on the inner race of the outside bearing, move it again, hammer on the other side, repeat and work it out.

Really need a big vice mounted solid to a bench. So you can secure the knuckle properly and really hammer on it. I couldnt do it in my garage; had to go over to Arch's and use his shop with bigger vise and hammers :)

I'd reccomend a brass drift, your less likely to hurt the hub as it won't tear into the bearing mount surface.

If you don't have them yet, i'd reccoment 207S bearings, there sealed, so if you follow Austin, you're less likely to need to replace them because of water immersion.

Put the hub/strut assembly on the floor, get a brass drift, and smack the bejeezus out of it. It sounds like you've got a bunch of rust and crap in there that's holding it up, so a larger hammer may be necessary.

BTW, I think the manual just says that as a CYA (cover your...) measure so that if somebody messes up on the bearings and a wheel falls off it's not their fault. I don't know how somebody could mess it up that badly, but I guess anything's possible.

the only reason I haven't removed the knuckle, is I don't have a puller to dissasemble the tie rod, and if this one is anywhere near as difficult as my '85 was....I just don't want to mess with it

I did take the control arm loose from the xmember, removed the axle (obviously), and pull the shock out of the knuckle, so it's pretty loose, but I didn't want to mess with the tie rod....I guess I'll try that tomorrow.