Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok im trying to arange a trailor to go and get my 95 legacy .

now the front axel is broken but not bouncing around .

i have about a 20min drive (hiway driving) to get it home .

am i goign to wreck stuff if i drive it with the front wheels basicly not working .

the tranny and front diff will be working and spinning at speed so i cant see any binding problems but im not sure if it will do damage form the rear getting the 50% for that long .

kinda silly question but i cant afford a tow and i might not have a trailer

any thoughs

thanks

I think you will do more damage than the money you'd save on the truck.

If its an auto, I don't think it will move at all unless you lock up the broken axle somehow. If its an manual, it may move, but you may damage the diff!

If you have no other option, I'd change the axle on the side of the road!

totally broke just after the outer joint .

thanks why the awd wasnt working and when the boot came off it was making nasty noises . so the broken axel spins at the same speed as the rest it just drive off the the rear

hmm im not sure i understand what the problem is your sure you have a broken axle and the boot hasnt just exploded?

can you move the axle up and down outside of the boot?

ok i went to look at this car to buy , they siad it had no awd. upon driving it (i drove normal) but when i turned around on gravel the back tires were slipping and the onts werent doing anything .

after i turned around (this is when the boot popped off the axel(hub side) )

the noise it made sounded liek it was time for a tranny .

but after checking under the car i could see the axel was just hangin there .(this explains the lack of fwd )

so what i was going to do was cut off the boot on the inner cv and pull the axel out (leaving the splined part in the tranny so the fluid wouldnt leak out )and drive it home

ok i went to look at this car to buy , they siad it had no awd. upon driving it (i drove normal) but when i turned around on gravel the back tires were slipping and the onts werent doing anything .

after i turned around (this is when the boot popped off the axel(hub side) )

the noise it made sounded liek it was time for a tranny .

but after checking under the car i could see the axel was just hangin there .(this explains the lack of fwd )

so what i was going to do was cut off the boot on the inner cv and pull the axel out (leaving the splined part in the tranny so the fluid wouldnt leak out )and drive it home

your call its what i would do if i didnt have aaa.

(leaving the splined part in the tranny so the fluid wouldnt leak out )and drive it home

The way the subaru is design you should be able to just take the axle out without affecting the tranny fluid at all -- the splined shaft stays with the tranny. (unless the AT is designed alot different that the manual)

But without real 4wd, trailering it is probably still a good idea. Axles are cheap, but trannies aren't so much....