Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pressure

i think that my oil pressure has been a little low lately....i was wondering what the oil pressure is supposed to be when your at a sitting position cause mine is like almost zero then when i move it goes up a little above 45 so what do ya think guyus

EA82? Sounds about normal to me, depending on exactly what viscosity oil you're running.

Z

Does your car leak a lot of oil? My car was leaking a ton of oil when i got it and did the exact thing you are talking about. Good oil pressure if i was giving it gas but at a light it would go almost to zero. I resealed my oil pump, new gaskets on the valve covers and oil pan and did the rear main seal. Now it goes to about 10-15 psi on idle.

This may be a dumb question but have you checked the oil level as well? It could be that your just really low.

I'm looking at a similar problem my brother is having with his jeep wrangler...low oil pressure at idle and when the engine revs were raised the pressure increased to normal. It could be the oil pump, but you need to get a gauge and check it yourself to be sure it's not the sending unit. That's the first thing to do. If that's ok and the engine has high mileage there's a good chance you need a rebuild because the main bearings wear and excessive clearance causes low oil pressure since the pump has trouble keeping up. I'm no mechanic, so it could very well be a bad oil pump, too.