Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wear seatbelt while wheeling?

SakoTGrimes

On road: wear the belt. I shoulda died, but I didn't. Instead I walked out of the hospital in 15 hours and recovered in 2 weeks. Severly bruised shoulders and hips (bruises of life they called 'em), minor cuts and contusions, but ALIVE. CRUSHED the driverside cab of an extended cab Ford Ranger and laid flat the interior. The belt kept me in the cage, were the steel protected me. If I wasn't wearing it, I would have been thrown and crushed.

I'd Post the pictures, if I had them scanned.

For off-roading: From (excuse me) Jeep experience: Lap belts. The shoulder strap gets in the way. You can lean out a bit with a lap belt on, but still stay in the vehicle if it shifts suddenly. If you need to lean out farther than that, bring a good spotter... and a high-lift jack.

I don't go wheelin... yet... But I'm a peer pressure kinda person... if everyone else in the car is wearing one I do but if no one else does I don't.

Put the peer pressure on them; put on your belt as an example to all of them. If anyone gives you crap you can inform them that they will die and you will live; living is cooler than dieing. :drunk:

Always ! been in too many wrecks over the years ....reguardless if I was the driver or passenger..SH*t happens!!!

Glad I had one on in two roll overs and one headon into a tree!!! I had a buddy who didn't have one on in a rollover and he hit three windows like a pinball with his head! He was ok except for a few cuts/bruises!!Lucky!

the only reason i wear a seatbelt when offroading is to keep my rump roast in the seat. keep my head off of the roof, and windshield.

when your wheelin a subaru, with about 3 inches of travel, you need all the help you can get, when you bounce off a big rock..

looks clean, do it:banana:

The many advantages of wearing a seatbelt vastly out weight the negative, if there are any, I can't think of em.

I have gotten to the point of where I actually feel uncomfortable NOT wearing a seatbelt (i.e. when I'm in a car without belts, or broken belts). Offroad they are way better. I have gotten into more wrecks offroad, at speeds of less than 25mph than anything other (my only other wrecks, one was also offroad, and it occured at around 35mph. The other one was backing out of my driveway).

Personally offroad I would like to have at least a 4 point belt, 5 being better, but if all you have is the stock 3 point, then thats great too. If you have autobelts, make sure the shoulder harness is snapped in, and wear the lap belt. If not for yourself, then do it for you family, last thing they need is for you to become another statistic.

I *always* wear a seatbelt. I have been in a number of high-speed accidents, namely an 89 honda accord that my buddy owned, hit a ditch doing well over 60 on a curvy gravel road, flipped, and rolled numerous times in a field. Seat belt saved all of our lives, we crawled out of it and walked away. I *will not* even put the car in gear without my passengers having their belts on. I have a very large friend who has a hard time fitting in the seatbelts, and he won't ride with me because he doesn't like to wear em. And I don't move unless he's belted. The other night when me and a friend went wheeling (I'm sure ya'll have heard about it:P) there were several times when the frame slammed against an embankment on the up or down side, and I literally would have broken my neck on the roof if I hadn't been wearing a belt. So buckle the hell up.

I agree on the passengers thing. Specially since a lot of places are in implimenting regulations stating that if you are pulled over, and your passengers are not belted in, you the driver get the ticket. AND, if your passengers re minors, then you really got to deal with a lot, around here, you get cited for "reckless endangerment of a child" and can serve jail time!!

I hate my seatbelt, it doesn't work quite right, it locks up randomly, and seems to always get tighter....but I wear it essentially all the time

the only exception is situations like saturday night...idling through a mildy rough field where the only way I could've flipped is if I'd hit a land mine....any other obsticle would've been seen and avoided....call me dumb, bu I know I was safe

earlier in the night, however, we were playing in a sandpit, doin some hillclimbs, whipping some donuts...etc. I would'nt have thought about it if I hadn't had my seatbelt on!!