Ultimate Subaru Message Board

car shopping, convince me on an Impreza

Hey all, just registered here. Unfortunately I'm having problems finding expert reviews and information pertaining to Imprezas. I'm looking to buy a new car in the $20k range within the next 6-12 months. I will be honest and get it out in the open... right now my top choice is the new 2006 Civic. I'm attracted to them because of their great gas mileage, amazing reliability, and availability of navigation.

But I'm also attracted to Impreza's because of their more powerful torquey 2.5's and of course AWD.(Live in PA w/snow, I'm a skier, don't want an SUV) I'd be looking into the 2.5i Sedan prob with 5spd. manual. Other than that, I really don't know much about them. If you guys could give me all the reasons that I should seriously consider buying an Impreza, I'd appreciate it.

Oh, and a particular question I'm wondering... I've heard WRX's with aftermarket exhaust that sound unbelievable, such an aggressive growl. Is this great sounding exhaust still possible with the base 2.5i engine? This is a sound clip of what I'm hoping for... http://members.aol.com/toolmantimtaylor/SubaruStuff/SCOOBYSWEET

do yourself a favor.....if you buy a new one go up to Becker in Allentown. I always get a great deal up there and it is totally worth the drive. Talk to Bill Pasco...he is a heck of a nice guy.

If you want my honest opinion...I think the honda's are soleless cars that have a real lack of personality...but then again what did you expect to hear on a subaru board. :D

If you have never owned a subaru I really don't think you will ever want to be in a frontwheel drive car ever again after it snows here. This I do know for sure!!!!

haha, thanks for the tip... if and when I go through a purchase I'll see what I can work out there, and I'll make sure to check back with you to get your information for a referral ;)

I need to get in on a test drive at a local dealer first to see what I think... but I really like the thought of AWD and the engine size seems just right, economical yet powerful. We'll see

I love my 05 Imp. My mom loves her 02 Imp. My gf loves her 02 Forester (which is really an Imp). My uncle loves his 99 Imp. I had a Honda Accord (1987) and a D/R Subaru GL (1986) and AWD Subaru Legacy (1996) in the snow in Michigan. My favorite was the Subie Legacy in the snow.

Right now I get 38 mpg highway if I use hi-grade in my manual trans Imp. City I get about 30 mpg, but I only do short 3 or 4 mile drives to work which doesn't even let the poor Imp get up to temp.

I loved my Honda, but love my Subie Imp more. Since I got it at the end of the model year it cost me around $16K. I looked at Hondas (yes, I still like Hondas) but to get similar features on a CRV or Element would've cost a huge amount. Check the Costco price on the new 06's.

Oh, and my Imp RS has a pretty sexy growl......:brow:

And I couldnt help but notice that we all live in PA.

ACTUALLY, it's a smaller world than you think... I'm coming up to State College today to visit my bro at PSU. (I graduated this past May :cool: )

Also, what's this Cosco program that you're talking about. I've heard about it before, but no clue how it works. I have a membership to Sam's Club, but I guess they don't have an equivalent program.

I need to get in on a test drive at a local dealer first to see what I think... but I really like the thought of AWD and the engine size seems just right, economical yet powerful. We'll see

You mean you haven't test driven the Sube yet? No wonder you are still comparing! :D

Recently bought an 05 Legacy Wagon, I am a converted Honda guy. I was needing more internal volume in my vehicle- I wanted desperately for any of the Honda models to suit my likings, but they all fell short. Not to mention, I had already been driving a civic for a decade and was ready for something a bit more peppy. Maybe the newer higher horse power civics may have cured this want, but of course the wouldn't have given me the cargo capacity I needed.

Here in Kansas, I really don't have an big need for 4wd. My front wheel drive Honda actually did very well in the snow and ice here. However, in the end I went with the Subaru over any other wagon/hybrid because of the feel of the drive. The subaru- I LOVE to drive it. The Honda- I appreciated it's fuel economy and reliability. I have gone from a car I appreciate to a car I absolutely love. After years of putzing around in an unresponsive heavy car, it feels great to drive something I love.

The fuel economy isn't so bad for me to adjust to, I live a relatively very short distance to work. Since you aren't looking for internal volume and you are comparing sedans, I may suggest that the Honda may still be your better choice for your stated criteria. The need for a wagon was really my main criteria.

Sorry for the rambling. Hopefully you can get out of this what I was trying to say... too sleepy to proof read.

Also, I liked the comment from the previous poster about buying two cars. I don't believe any other car on the market can replace a subaru's features and reliability when comparing dollar for dollar. You need a utilitarian vehicle for your activities. A used sube that will let you pound the snow would be a blast on your trips. Then during the week get back in your well vacuumed economy car and putz around town.

By the way, let us know how the test drive worked out.

ACTUALLY, it's a smaller world than you think... I'm coming up to State College today to visit my bro at PSU. (I graduated this past May :cool: )

Also, what's this Cosco program that you're talking about. I've heard about it before, but no clue how it works. I have a membership to Sam's Club, but I guess they don't have an equivalent program.

Not sure about Costco, but you can also check out...

http://www.lnt.org/membership/index.html

Eligibility for the Subaru VIP Partners Program after six months of membership; helping you save as much as $3000 when you purchase or lease a new Subaru

If you search this board for the program, you will see most agree it is a fairly decent savings along with a zero haggle experience.

Sam's has the same program. Just call the number on the back of your card and they will hook you up.

(Sam's Club employee) :)

You're right,the programs are equivalent at all. You're going to see that with the '06 Civic, the Sam's program isn't going to be the savings you're looking for. The '06 Civics, because of the drastic changes, have been holding back they're "mass release." Usually around this time of year, you'll see Honda dealerships who have 30-40 Civics on their lot, but, because of no "mass release," Honda dealerships have had a shortage of Civics, usually about 1-5, and aren't dealing as much on them. I believe the Sam's program for the '06 Civic is $200 below MSRP, not invoice. When, on the otherhand, an Impreza, I believe, is $100 below Invoice. And you mentioned on your first post that you like the fact that Civics are available with Navi, so, I take it you'd be purchasing an EX Coupe or Sedan with Navi? So, in reality, you'd be paying, probably, about $3000-$4000 more for the Civic than the Impreza. But, if you do go with the Civic EX, get the coupe. The Coupe has a 350 Watt Premium Sound System with 7 Speakers and a Subwoofer. :o But, either way you go you'll be getting a great car. But, what is it you want most? Power and AWD, or the better gas mileage?

The subaru- I LOVE to drive it. The Honda- I appreciated it's fuel economy and reliability. I have gone from a car I appreciate to a car I absolutely love. After years of putzing around in an unresponsive heavy car, it feels great to drive something I love.

I think that really says it all right there. Emily is my first Subie (a Legacy wagon), and I fell in love with teh car the second I opened the hood (I'm a bit of a gearhead, and the layout of the engine is wonderful), then I looked underneath (and fell in love all over again). . . Then I drove it, hard. . . Now I'm never going back. You will get my Subaru away from me when you pry my cold dead fingers from the wheel. How many other cars will ever have have loyalty like that?

Well my favorite car I've ever owned to this point was a 93 Cavalier Z24 cause it was a manual and had a 3.1L V6. It had more torque(19 lb/ft more) but less hp(33hp less) than the 2.5i. If it behaves anywhere similar to that car, I'm sold... it was a blast to drive.

The Civic still sounds good to me because it just sips the gas, but it's also really important that I enjoy driving whatever I buy... I'll probably keep it for a long time.

Exactly... You don't want to buy something you're just gonna trade in a couple years from now, and be $5000 barried. :-p So, it would behoove you to make the right decision. You really SHOULD go test drive both vehicles; I'm sure you'll find some "pros" and "cons" in both.

By the way, the '06 Civic has a 5-Speed automatic, instead of a 4-Speed like last year, so, it gets better gas mileage than the manual. :o

I've never driven Impreza's or Civic's newer than '97, and my car is a '89 GL wagon. But here was my impression of both.

The Civic is pretty gutless unless you get the Vtec? engine. I drove a '97 (I think) civic with that engine and was quite pleaseantly suprised that it could go up hills at highway speed, which most civic's can't (but hey, neither can my '89 suby). It was also the hatchback instead of the sedan that I had previously driven. I was also driving it around in snowy mountain roads, and was suprised at how well it felt glued to the road. Better than my old subaru even (It had slightly better snow tires). A civic with really good snow tires is better than any SUV or 4wd pickup I have driven on snowy highways. Of course in deep snow, it won't do you any good. The AWD subaru will be better -- carlike handling, but with AWD. But you may not really need it.

The Impreza definitely has more power than the civic -- largely because it actually has low end torque instead of a rubber band engine. No trouble going up hills at speed limit or higher. Fun to drive. I think 30mpg is more typical of mileage from what I've heard. I've never driven one in the snow, but unless they made it much worse than my old suby, it'll be great in snow untill it gets deep enough to high center (I suspect if anything, the new AWD is better than mine, except for getting rid of the low range 4wd, which is why I won't get a new one). I have a 4wd pickup too, and the subaru is much better in the snow.

The civic has a transverse engine, which is a PITA to work on. My VW rabbit is 3 times harder to do anything on than my subaru because of this. If you aren't doing your own work, not an issue.

And I have heard rumors that the diesel civic will be coming to the US in '06. In my book this would put it way over the impreza. I love the new diesel VW's (as much power as the Impreza, but better gas mileage than the civic), but their quality leaves something to be desired, and they don't like dirt roads much... I don't know how much the price premium might be for the diesel civic.

Zeke

I've never driven Impreza's or Civic's newer than '97, and my car is a '89 GL wagon. But here was my impression of both.

The Civic is pretty gutless unless you get the Vtec? engine. I drove a '97 (I think) civic with that engine and was quite pleaseantly suprised that it could go up hills at highway speed, which most civic's can't (but hey, neither can my '89 suby). It was also the hatchback instead of the sedan that I had previously driven. I was also driving it around in snowy mountain roads, and was suprised at how well it felt glued to the road. Better than my old subaru even (It had slightly better snow tires). A civic with really good snow tires is better than any SUV or 4wd pickup I have driven on snowy highways. Of course in deep snow, it won't do you any good. The AWD subaru will be better -- carlike handling, but with AWD. But you may not really need it.

The Impreza definitely has more power than the civic -- largely because it actually has low end torque instead of a rubber band engine. No trouble going up hills at speed limit or higher. Fun to drive. I think 30mpg is more typical of mileage from what I've heard. I've never driven one in the snow, but unless they made it much worse than my old suby, it'll be great in snow untill it gets deep enough to high center (I suspect if anything, the new AWD is better than mine, except for getting rid of the low range 4wd, which is why I won't get a new one). I have a 4wd pickup too, and the subaru is much better in the snow.

The civic has a transverse engine, which is a PITA to work on. My VW rabbit is 3 times harder to do anything on than my subaru because of this. If you aren't doing your own work, not an issue.

And I have heard rumors that the diesel civic will be coming to the US in '06. In my book this would put it way over the impreza. I love the new diesel VW's (as much power as the Impreza, but better gas mileage than the civic), but their quality leaves something to be desired, and they don't like dirt roads much... I don't know how much the price premium might be for the diesel civic.

Zeke

All model Civics come with i-VTEC engines now, even the DX. But, yes, the Imprezas have 33 more HP than the '06 Civic.

All model Civics come with i-VTEC engines now, even the DX. But, yes, the Imprezas have 33 more HP than the '06 Civic.

You are right. I just looked up the specs for the new ones. Wow! 165 horsepower. That's twice what mine has. The subaru has quite a bit more torque than the civic too, although it is still at a dissapointingly high 4,000 rpm. I thought the old ones peaked more like 2,500 rpm?

Test drive both of them. That's the only way to really tell which you think is better.

Well, even though I'm only planning on buying in upwards of a year from now, I convinced my wife to go test driving with me tomorrow evening. (YAY!) My tentative agenda is...

• Test drive Impreza 2.5i Sedan
  • Check out Impreza Wagon (Do the sedan's rear seats fold down??)
  • Test drive WRX Sedan (That would be a tough sell for the wifey, but I gotta try, right?)
  • Test Drive Civic Sedan

Hopefully I can track all 3 down w/a 5spd! I'll have to call around first to track them down.

I'm so into cars, there's no way I could make a spur of the moment last minute decision. I'd rather make my decision way in advance and hype myself up for the big day I roll off the lot :burnout:

EDIT:

BTW... As far as the Navi goes, I really have no ambition to go out and spend on a paycheck on an aftermarket system. If I get the Subie, no navi for me. Just would get it on the Civic cause it's a cool toy.

I'm also amused by how many nicknames these cars get... my favorite so far, of course, is 'Scooby' :D

You mean you haven't test driven the Sube yet? No wonder you are still comparing! :D ...

...By the way, let us know how the test drive worked out.

Um yeah... you were right.

As mentioned above, you just need to go for a test drive. The Honda will lose.

By the way, you were right too!

Test drove both the Impreza 2.5i and Civic EX tonight. pfff, no match... the Impreza kicks rump roast! It had a great engine feel, great shifter, great road feel, everything. What a zippy little pocket rocket. I LOVED the styling in person, too.. in particular the head/tail lights and spoiler. The car felt like it had a great, solid build quality behind it, too.

One point on the test drive, I was unfamiliar with the road I was on and it was dark out. There was a sudden tight turn I wasn't ready for while I was moving right along, and the little bugger zipped right around it, no sweat! What a fun, invigorating 10min. drive!!

Don't get me wrong, the Civic was nice. It was very solid and quiet inside, and even had good power to it, but had NONE of the road feel that the Subi gave me... just felt isolated and bland. Too much pampering for my taste. Also, the shifter SUCKED... notchy and I kept missing the 2-3 shift.

I wanted to test drive the WRX, but after the 2.5i, I had no need to. The performance from the N/A Boxer was sweet. Plus it'll save me $5k off the sticker price and I'll get to feed it 87 octane.

Thanks for all your responses guys! But some of you hit the nail on the head... the test drive says it all!

Mmmm... can't wait till I can own one :slobber:

What a fun, invigorating 10min. drive!!

Yup, that sounds about right! :cool:

Don't get me wrong, the Civic was nice. It was very solid and quiet inside, and even had good power to it,

After seeing the specs for the new civics, I'm actually interested in a test drive myself. My Honda loyalty has grown large enough over the years that I will always be shopping their product line; however only if I already have a Subie in the drive way! :)