Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've done a lot of searching through the forum - great info there - but I have a peculiar question.

I've been driving a 97 Legacy wagon for several months now and all is well. Winter is coming to new england and I definitely need something winter-specific. The vehicles I've driven before just had all season tires and FWD. While that is great for honing your winter driving skills I am downright excited about having AWD and snow tires. Points:

I go skiing the morning after/during big snowstorms which means lots of driving on unplowed or packed-snow roads. We also get a fair bit of ice.

The catch is that I'll probably be moving (and driving) cross-country next year and wouldn't be lugging a set a tires that far. I'm also very very poor. Think college student poor.

So do I just find the cheapest studded tires I can find and not care that the studs fall out fast? Or maybe get a set of used tires? (Seems like I'd be shooting myself in the foot there?) Where should I look for that sort of thing?

cheers

i was in the same boat as you. i founda used tire shop and got a set of 4 studded tires. after having a bubble on one of the sidewalls and having to drive all the way back to the shop i was on the road. could be worth it... who knows. i found that going cheap on tires will get you.. at lease from my experiences.

FWIW:

I got a set of used snow tires for $90 for our Impreza. They had a lot (90%+) of tread left on them but they are a few years old. They did very well for us last winter and I just put them back on this weekend in anticipation of another snowy season.

It's a good point that you shouldn't skimp on tires, but getting a good deal on a set of lightly used ones seems like a good compromise (with some risks that you'll get a bad one).

Check Nasioc, the USMB, craigslist, any other local classified forums you might have. Check the newspaper classifieds also.

Do a search on checking the age of the tire by the DOT code, you shouldn't buy ones that are more than several years old IMO, even if they have 100% tread. Also, keep in mind that many snow/ice tires are only really good for the first half of their treadwear, then they are just about like all seasons. So if someone is selling Blizzaks, for example, that have "50% tread left, great condition", I'd keep looking.

Steve

Considering that running tires of varying diameters can harm the all-wheel drive system, I wouldn't take a chance on used tires. Apparently you have gotten around with FWD and all-season tires so far, so if your current tires are in good shape I would give them a try before spending money on tires that you may only use for one season.

if you can drive a fwd in winter, you can drive a sub on summer tires

Perhaps I didn't make it clear but although I've gotten through winters with FWD and summer tires I've often had to drive very, very slowly and still not had nearly as much traction as I've desired. I've also come very close to getting stuck, not making it up hills, etc. etc. Basically I know hod to do it but sort of hate it!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Where are you in New England?

You can find lots of used tires in The WantAdvertiser, a $2.50 weekly publication in the Greater Boston area. There's a similar publication in ME called Uncle Fred's or something like that. I found a set of Nokians on Subaru steel rims last season for $200.

Costco will install Michelin X-Ice for $91 each but they don't stock them. That's nearly $20 per tire less than tire stores, or Nokian RSI's. If it's that important to you, buy them and be done with it. But there is no comparison between a SAAB and Subaru in snow. Lots of people will get stuck before you, blocking the way.....:lol:

I'm going to toss in a vote for re-treaded tires. I got a set of new retreads put on my legacy last winter. All 4 tires mounted, balanced, taxes, etc only came to ~$330cad. And they are fantastic in the snow. Like mountain-goat fantastic. Very gummy even in the cold.

The best single tire out there is the Nokian WR "All-Weather Plus" these are the only tires out there that are true all-season with the winter rating.

Or like others have said, get a set of cheap used snow tires of ebay or craigslist.

I concur on the WR's if you want a year-round tire with fantastic snow & ice handling. I have their predecessor, the NRW (they don't do the WR in 185/70R14 :() on my Subaru and the car is fantastic in snow, rain, and ice. Really unstoppable, although I must say my Nokian RSI equipped FWD Saab 9-5 does just as well in the white stuff. Previously my car had a set of the OEM Firestone all-season tires - the difference between those and the Nokians was night and day when the going got tough.

As for the comment that 'if you can do FWD in winter, you can do a sub in summer tires': this is probably the worst advice I have ever seen on USMB and I hope the poster was kidding. AWD does not make summer tires stick in cold weather. AWD is an aid in poor weather conditions, it's not a panacea.

Nokian WRs aren't cheap (14" ~$80 ea) but you can use them for several years year-round and won't need another set come spring. Think of them as an investment in your skiiing, or, think of them as costing a ski trip.