Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Consumer Reports likes Michelin X-Radial (available at wholesale clubs only) for all round performance, Goodyear Assurance Tripletred (may have issues on ice-performance good, otherwise). I have also seen folks recommend BF Goodrich Traction TA. I just got the X-Radials for my Mazda MPV.

2001 Outback Limited Wagon

Town Fair Tire is recommending Mastercraft Avenger LSRs. Has anyone used these tires? Looking for good all-season tire. If not, other strong recommendations?

Thx

Have a set of Mastercraft (aka Cooper rebadges) Thay have a nice aggresive tread for snow but are a little loud on the highway and seem to wear pretty fast. The BF Goodrich Traction T/a are a better ALL-season tire IMHO!

Consumer Reports likes Michelin X-Radial (available at wholesale clubs only) for all round performance, Goodyear Assurance Tripletred (may have issues on ice-performance good, otherwise). I have also seen folks recommend BF Goodrich Traction TA. I just got the X-Radials for my Mazda MPV.

I thought the Tripletreads had some kinda center section with sand/pumice in the rubber specifically for ice? maybe I'm thinking of a different tire.

On my WRX I recently swapped wheels and the Kumhos i got are a LOT noisier than the B'stone RE92s that were on there. That can be a characteristic that you only discover in a review of a tire.

I thought the Tripletreads had some kinda center section with sand/pumice in the rubber specifically for ice? maybe I'm thinking of a different tire.

Here is what Goodyear says about TripleTreds. My daughter may end up with them on her Saturn SL2. By CR's testing, it certainly did better than Comfortreds for ice. Keep in mind this is Goodyear scoring their own product. Have heard only good things about BFG Traction TA's, though.

Revolutionary Tire For ANY Weather Condition

Assurance featuring TripleTred Technology has three unique tread zones for superior traction in ANY weather.

Tread Life Limited Warranty:

80000 Miles 130000 KM

UTQG:

Treadwear: 740

Traction: A

Temperature: B

399.jpgpixel.gifDry TractionWet TractionSnow TractionRide ComfortQuiet Ride10101099pixel.gifFeatures

Benefits

°80,000 Mile Tread Life Limited Warranty°Ice Zone with interlocking tread pattern°Water Zone with deeply carved Aquachutes°Outer Dry Zone with tread reinforcement°Exceptional durability and long tread life°Gripping power on icy or slick roads°Propels water off the tread and away from the tire°Confident maneuvering around curves, potholes and unexpected road debris on dry pavementpixel.gif

Just put some BFG Traction T/A's on my 96 OBW and I've been really impressed. A bit rougher ride than the old Mastercraft cheapies I had on the car, but that may be due to the 40 psi I have in them.

The BFGs worked very well in in rain a few weeks ago and were excellent in the snow I drove through on Wednesday. Drove about 130 miles on I-70 hours after it reopened West of Denver, and the tires were very impressive on the icy and snowpacked conditions. Only a step below a full-on snow tire, best all-season tire I've ever used in the snow.

Edit: I also only paid $64/ea for these tires at the local shop.

Only a step below a full-on snow tire, best all-season tire I've ever used in the snow.

Edit: I also only paid $64/ea for these tires at the local shop.

Have you ever used a true dedicated snow tire?

I agree these are great all season tires, but there are no all season tires out there that handle snow anywhere near a full on snow tire.

Expect for Nokian WRs.

I learned this last year, my wife's Honda was terrible in the snow, got a set of snow tires and her Honda did better than my outback in the snow.

Now I have dedicated snow tires on my outback and the difference is amazing.

Have you ever used a true dedicated snow tire?

In fact, I have used a dedicated snow tire, and I think the T/A is a step below a snow on a snow packed roadway. I was able to travel at 50 mph comfortably, and change lanes without losing any traction. That is adquate for my purposes.

I'll have to take your word for it about the WRs, at $139/ea (in my area) they better be damn good in the snow. For me, WRs or a set of snows (and rims) was not worth the expense for a car with 140k on it. Luckily, the T/As are a great compromise.

Obviously, for driving through deep snow (like to a trailhead, for example), I'd love to have a set of dedicated snows. But for your typical sunny Colorado winter, where roads are rarely snowpacked for a more than a few days, I think the T/As are a great choice.

On my WRX I recently swapped wheels and the Kumhos i got are a LOT noisier than the B'stone RE92s that were on there. That can be a characteristic that you only discover in a review of a tire.

One of the best passages in all of Sci Fi. rjpm