Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rebuilt 2.5 1 & 2 cylinder problems

First let me say how happy I am to find a quality Subaru message board. I am a firm believer in peer to peer message boards being one of the best ways to truly gain quality information on a subject.

I know this is my first post, and i will be VERY grateful for any help that I receive.

Short Version:

97 legacy OBW limited

2.5L w/ AT

Bought on E-bay with known HG issue (if I would have found this board sooner I may not have bought it lol)

Car was not running when purchased

Complete rebuild of engine. (Bearings, rings, seals, HG, valve job, ect.)

New NGK plugs and OEM wires

Engine starts great, starts idling @ 1900 rpm's with all four cylinders working for about 15 seconds. Idle then falls to weak sounding 1100 rpm's. (CEL also comes on at this time after a reset) After this happens i can remove the # 1 and # 2 plug wires from the coil with no change shown in the engine performance. spark plugs and wires have been switched and the problem stays at #1 and #2.

I realize that I need to pull the codes and have a scan tool on order, but i would like to keep working on this problem.

Anybody have any ideas?

My assumptions:

Not an incorrectly installed timing belt b/c the cylinders are opposite of each other. Could be incorrectly adjusted valves but I don’t believe so b/c i checked them myself after i got the heads back from the machine shop.

Since i still have a spark @ 1 & 2 then it must be electrical (ECM timing, or fuel injector issues)

Since it runs fine for 15 seconds (with high idle) i am thinking that the ECU may be compensating for something.

I also may need to check my coil/igniter since the 1 & 2 cylinders are paired in the ignition system.

I suppose i need to test compression but i don’t believe that could be the problem.

Could it be a vacuum leak? I have checked 50 times for hoses not hooked up

Any Other Ideas???

I am not very familiar with fuel injected or import engines so I am officially out of my comfort zone. So if I sound like an idiot please tell me.

I would really be appreciative of any help I could get b/c i have been working on this for 6 weeks and am ready to enjoy my new (and getting more expensive by the day) Subaru.

Thanks Again

Ben

I will pull the codes As Soon as the scan tool gets here. But what could be causing no combustion in the #1 and #2 cylinders? Just 5 seconds after they are working fine?

I will let you guys know the codes when i get them.

your reading too much into the code. All it is saying is that there is something not making those two cylinders to perform as programed. i seriously doubt its mechanical. it can be a fouled plug, bad wire, bad coil, bad ignitor, andnthats just a start. We need to see all the codes to start hunting it down.

nipper