Ultimate Subaru Message Board

buying 98 OB with synchros prob?

hello first post here!

i appreciate the discussions here and am looking at Subarus based in part on the fact that y'all are here and ACTIVE. (not much internet discussion on 88' dodge caravans! and i know how much it really helps for DIY to figure things out together)

i'm looking at a 98' Outback 2.5L 5SPD with 180k, just had a clutch, is VERY clean and looks well taken care of.. but not much in the way of paperwork...

2500$

i know about the head gaskets problem, hope that it may have been taken care of or be past the obvious failure point.

I know it is an interference motor. guess i'd have to do the TB

HAS a known problem with the synchros, going into third "occasionally"

Mechanics looking at it say it "might" need a tranny soon.

I have read all about redline and synchros here and am wondering how long this could be driven. I understand it will get worse eventually, but maybe with redline, a tranny flush, or the oft-discussed double clutching?

Could it end catastrophically? or could i just EASE it into third or line up the rev's for the rest of its life?

Seems to me like crunching sensitive gears sounds alot scarrier than it really is.. (i am manual novice)

... is there a good deal in here? I am DIY but NOT about to open a tranny:)

Fluid change may cure the syncro issue. I had a turbo legacy tranny rebuilt before I swapped it in, and I still had syncro grinding issues. I've played around with fluids and the fluid definitely makes a huge difference.

Redline lightweight shock proof would be the stuff to run on a problem gear boxes.

Right now I'm running a cocktail of 1qt redline LWSP, 1qt of pennzoil syncromesh, and the rest swepco 201 (80w90). I just changed it last weekend, and so far, things seem pretty good, and no grinding.

I've had grinding on the 2-3 shift since about 70k on my Impreza outback. It hasn't gotten any worse, at one point I switched to redline 75w90NS and it got somewhat better. I'm at 110k now and it shifts about the same as it it did at 70k. As long as I'm not driving like a crazy person I don't even get a grind. It really only grinds when I shift above 3500rpm. It sounds like an ok deal, just keep in mind that the head gaskets could go and the trany isn't at the height of its life and keep a little money around for them.

Actually at 2500 thats a good price, even with a weak tranny. I dont know what a used tranny goes for, but if my mechanic was to say the car was ok, i would snap it up. IS the synchro the 2-3 synchro? You can learn how to double clutch, and also if it gets bad you can alwways skip that gear on the upshift untill you can get a tranny. i would take the car since you know all its warts and seem comfortable with it. Who knows that synchro can stay like that for another 30K.

I bought my 97 for 3800 with a full letaher interior ... hehehe if you dont want it ill buy it :)

nipper

The only issue with the MT-90 is that it's not GL5 rated.

Yep MT-90 will trash your front gears if you run it.

This is what Redline tech support told me.

In your Subaru transaxle where the GL-5 gear lube is called for I

would recommend the 75W90NS, I would expect the shiftability to be

close to the MT-90. The NS fluids have no friction modifier so are

not to slippery for the synchros the problem with most GL-5 gear

oils. The 75W90 would be suitable for the rear differential.

Yep MT-90 will trash your front gears if you run it.

This is what Redline tech support told me.

In your Subaru transaxle where the GL-5 gear lube is called for I

would recommend the 75W90NS, I would expect the shiftability to be

close to the MT-90. The NS fluids have no friction modifier so are

not to slippery for the synchros the problem with most GL-5 gear

oils. The 75W90 would be suitable for the rear differential.

I wouldn't say it'd trash your front gears. It just won't provide as much protection. The main difference between GL4 & GL5 is the EP (extreme pressure) additives. GL4 has EP additives.....GL5 just has more.