Ultimate Subaru Message Board

maybe speedo cable?

disconnect at trans and run some oil down it,see what happens

btw,how's your knocking/ticking?

i got my ticking taken care of(loose plugs) but now when i start her up after sitting over-night she knocks untill she warms up.almost sounds like piston slap.but sound seems to be coming from back side of engine

:confused: :-\ Hmmm...

i'll give the oil thing a try, it didn't seem ot be doing it as much today, maybe it was loose change or something rattling around?

as for the tick/knock yours is doing the same thing mine done, when it's cold it ticks, when it warms up it goes away, that's the problem i first stated... i haven't had time to pop open the valve covers and mess with the rockers.

Don't think I have an answer, but noises can be very deceiving when driving.

I could have sworn there was a tick, tick, tick behind my gauges, it turned out to be a electricity arcing from the coil pack to the intake.

Can you get the noise to happen when the car is in neutral?

last winter,my cable scared the sh*& out of me.driving to work then all of a sudden this very loud screech!! i was told because it was so cold out(single digit temps) the speedo cable being just a very long spring.any amount of moisture froze an caused the noise or something like that(was awhile since i was told this,so i might of forgotten something)

did your speedo needle bounce/shake some.next time you drive an get the noise.keep it at a steady mph and watch needle.(if it isn't the cable causing the noise then it should stay even with whatever speed your at.if it is your cable then needle will bounce an shake some.

When the alternator on my 97 died and I drove on the battery only as far as I could (I was nowhere heading to a small town) the final failure modes included no speedo or odometer. This leads me to think that they are not mechanical.. no cable. Can that be correct? If so this noise would be something else.

Just brainstorming.

Mark

I've heard the same strange noise coming from behind the cd player in my wagon. Sounds like electricity, a low pitched quick buzz sound. I hear it every once in a while but only when i'm in park or idling when the radio isn't turned on. Not sure if it happens while in drive because of the background noise.

When the alternator on my 97 died and I drove on the battery only as far as I could (I was nowhere heading to a small town) the final failure modes included no speedo or odometer. This leads me to think that they are not mechanical.. no cable. Can that be correct? If so this noise would be something else.

Just brainstorming.

Mark

Spedo and odometer are the same unit. The are electronic and run off the VSS.

nipper

subie94, i've also experienced the squeel you speak of, and it just gets louder and louder when you go faster :rolleyes:

it does sound like a low pitch buzzing, but it's seemed to disapear today, i'll try to pay extra attention to it tomorrow... i think my rear wheel bearings are starting to act up again too :banghead: but i'm not sure about the bearings.. it could just be the CB antenna in the wind or something crazy like that.

eh