Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recently I bought 2004 Outback Ltd. 2.5L, 4cly. Very happy so far. Noticed I have Electrical Device for Rust Proofing. This device was bought by original owner during purchase. I here this device is no good, and that I should go and get the car sprayed.

Can any one shed some light on this matter?

thanks,

gsp:confused:

It electrocoats it. No idea on how good it is or not but I wouldn't rust proof any new car that's a unibody as it'll leave goop where you want and need it to drain. Since I'm guessing you're planning to keep the car forever just make sure that at least once a year you clean out the front and rear wheel wells. They tend to get gunked up with dirt/leaves and other crap then trap water which will in turn lead to rust

They work waell on boats or on anything that is submursed in salt water. For anything else its just a waste of money, but it is like chicken soup, its not going to make anything worse, all it might do is kil your battery if you park the car for a few weeks and not start it.

ALso unless you live in a rust belt, rustproofing is a huge waste of money. Do a search on the threads here, you will see in gteat detail how scamish it is. Look at the cars around you that are of the same age, and also 10 years old. If you dont see a rust issue, i would not do it. I live on Long Island, my car is a 97, 180k on is, only thing that rusted is the tailgate release, and that wouldnt be covered anyway. Todays cars (well since the 90/s) have a a pretty good record for rust. The most important thing to avoid rust is regular car washes and waxing. Also once a season go around and make sure all the body drain holes are clear of dirt. If you do that, on a subaru, you shouldnever have a rust issue.

nipper

Your "rust proofer box" does the same thing as a sacrificial anode, which in reality isn't much, on a car. I wouldn't waste the money to have a car undercoated once it's been driven. All you'll end up doing is sealing the corrosive agents into the cracks and crannies. As someone else noted, it's best to just make sure you give it a really good and thorough fresh water rinse periodically, at least every couple of months. But, do it when the weather is warm, or you can park it in a heated garage, so it can dry thoroughly, too. One of the best anti-corrosion steps you can take is to make sure all of your bonding strap connections are tight and clean and your negative battery terminal is clean and solid.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with the anti-rust proofing sentiment I'm hearing here. undercoating = awesome. Here in Nova Scotia we often seem to have as much salt on the road as snow (in winter of course). If you look around at some 6+ year old cars you'll be able to tell which ones were undercoated properly (or stored for winters).

More on topic though I've seen Honda offer a magical electronic rust-proofing device as an option but have always wondered if it works or not.

As I said, look around at the other cars around you, if they have early cancer, then maybe undercoat it. BUT on a car thats already been exposed to the elements for a year it really is too late and can make matters worse.

Food for thought

http://money.cnn.com/2003/12/02/pf/autos/f_and_I_products/

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/1995/December/08.html

Also one thing i've seen from all the articles ( i did not post them all here .. google rustproofing), they agree on a few things, if it is not done right it can make thigs worse, it can possibly void your cars warrenty, the car may have a better rsut warrenty then an aftermarket rust proofer, and if it is done wrong it can make things worse. Also another point is that if a rustproofer wont let you watch them do it, run away from them.

nipper

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with the anti-rust proofing sentiment I'm hearing here. undercoating = awesome. Here in Nova Scotia we often seem to have as much salt on the road as snow (in winter of course). If you look around at some 6+ year old cars you'll be able to tell which ones were undercoated properly (or stored for winters).

More on topic though I've seen Honda offer a magical electronic rust-proofing device as an option but have always wondered if it works or not.

I have to agree with Fishy on this one. My first Subaru was a 91 Loyal that was never rust proofed before I got it and it was a rust bucket by the end!

You can easily tell the vehicles around here that have had rust proofing of some sort and which have not. Different rust proof agents work differently, so I would research which is the best in your area. Around here RustCheck is pretty popular. I just had my car done a few weeks ago and am quite pleased with the results. The product does not drip and ooz for months on end and it actually smells kind of nice...if you can believe that!

If your in a rust belt...then rust proofing is your best bet.

Urban Coyote

Fishy...nice to see another NS person on the board!

Oddly it seems the only reputable ones are in Canada. Just did some more reading, and in some places in Canada it seems to be recomended, but with the warning of buyer beware ... and it doesnt seem to be as much of a problem in the states, with the exception of Michigan and somewhat in Maine.

Tha anode that is attached to the car, really works best on boats.. or bridges or submarines

http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Car/carCP.htm

interesting peice,

nipper

First let me say "thank you" to all of you for taking the time and effort on this matter. I am in Richmond Hill, Ontario. I found a shop "Crown" for $110.00 + Tax. Probably have it done this month.

And yes will be keeping this car for a long time.

good day,

gsp

This topic has come up a couple of times this year in the Toronto Star newspaper, Wheels (automotive) section.

In Canada, they have investigated and shut down many of the outfits that were selling this kind of stuff. There was a question raised on Nov 19th about this topic. I quote the following.

"Randy Peek, President of Canadian Auto Preservation (www.capfinalcoat.com) In Concord (near Toronto Ontario) marketers of the Final Coat module, says scientific evidence shows that cathodic technology doesn't work. He stresses however, that his product is not cathodic like certain other anti-rust devices banned by the Competition Bureau, and that the agency terminated its investigation of CAP after being satisfied of that fact."

So... if interested, you may want to check out this device. I was looking at the site briefly today, but didn't notice a price.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Rust Check. It has served me well for nearly 20 years now.

Commuter

Hmmm... Nova Scotia Winters vs Subarus... I'm in school in Halifax at the moment and I've noticed that there are a ton of my generation of Legacys (gen 1) all over campus at Dal and downtown Halifax.. makes me miss mine

Just an observation... they seem to hold up better here than in New Brunswick. Mine is currently residing in my driveway and over the past 2 years I've seen all the others that were the same age go off the road as well :(

First let me say "thank you" to all of you for taking the time and effort on this matter. I am in Richmond Hill, Ontario. I found a shop "Crown" for $110.00 + Tax. Probably have it done this month.

And yes will be keeping this car for a long time.

good day,

gsp

Rust check been around for quite longtime and it's a good product.

"Crown" is higly recommended by the APA so it must be good.

Since you gonna do it by Crown, can you tell us if they drill holes to apply it?

Since you gonna do it by Crown, can you tell us if they drill holes to apply it?

Not to usurp answering, but it is Krown. And yes, they drill holes (last I knew, and so does Rust Check). Krown actually started in the late 80's from a bunch of disgruntled Rust Check dealers that felt the franchiser was getting too greedy with what they wanted for the oil itself. I had just started with Rust Check myself at the time. Since Krown was an unknown, I decided to stick with Rust Check. From everything I hear, they are good. Quite comparable.

Commuter

As far as I know any undercoater worth their salt(haha!) will drill holes. It's the only way to get the goo where it needs to go. In fact I drilled my own civic and undercoated it myself last year. Anyone with access to a lift and a compressor should do their own undercoating and save TONNES OF CA$H. I bought a 5gal bucket of dripless, clear undercoat through Napa and it was about $80cad. if you don't already have one of those stepped drillbits and a 'shots' (undercoating) gun that'll set you back another $30cad. Now here's the kicker. I SOAKED the whiz out of my civic everywhere I could find to put undercoating. and it used about 1/4 of my bucket of snot. Now do a little math and for ~$110cad you can undercoat 4 cars very well or do your car for 4 years. :brow:

Canadian Tire sells cans of stuff called Rust Check,(or something like that), for around $7. Every year I buy 2 or 3 cans and spray everywhere underneath, around the engine compartment, inside the rocker panels, doors and tailgate.

It remains sticky so it doesn't drip out from all the cracks after being applied.