Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brief Jerk

I've got one for you guys to mull over. For as long as I've had my 89 GL wagon it suddenly will jerk while driving. Does it at any speed, any gear. It'll do it once and then after a few miles it'll do it again. Thought the engine was cutting out, but then it did it while going down hill with foot off the gas. Lately theres a slight squeek when it happens. I would swear its a wheel bearing seizing momentarily, but there are no growling or vibrations. Even tapping the brake wont cause the car to jerk like it does. It slows the car down just a little when it happens, like a brake would if where applied hard enough to lock the wheel for just an instance, but not long enough to skid the tire. Guess I could let it develop, thats a sure fire way to find the problem.

MY 97 OBW does it too, been told to give it a good tune up and it will go away. Facing back surgery so it will wait till spring, as snow is coming here in NY and i dont have a garage.

MIne also does it alot more with the ac on at red lights (which makes sense for a funky plug or wire)

nipper

Misfire/missing on one cylinder every now and then??

My 1st thought when I read your post, also.

Backfiring thru the intake would cause a sudden jerk, and a squeak of sorts. The jerk would be more pronounced with a manual tranny vs an auto.

Just my .02..

It does have standard trans and 4WD. It does act like a back fire in some ways, but at times the sudden jerk is so pronounced that its hard to belive its a misfire or backfire. The ECU has been showing codes 11,13, and 33, yet I have changed the dist. Haven't really checked the wiring to and from the dist. Haven't even begun to think about the speed sensor yet. If it is a backfire into the manifold then connecting a vacuum gauge to the manifold and running a line into the car so I can watch the gauge when it happens would tell me more. When I hear the squeek I would swear it is coming from the dash. But then I worked on F4's in the A/F so my hearing isn't all that good.

Depending on the RPM's at the time it happens, it could be a really stiff jolt. When an engine backfires, it not only misses on the clyinder that caused it, but the next couple of intake strokes are pulling in the burnt gases that are in the intake runners also. So more than one cylinder is affected.