Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I don't know if "dust in the wind" is being used in the great white north, but it's stupid, infact, i'd go so far as to say that most subie adverts are junk.

There seem to be two demographics that buy Subies, the "rally racer" and the "responsible octigenarian" Which as i'm sure you know are very divergent groups.

How would i advertise?

I'd put more WRC clips in the commercials, even if the end buyer isn't going for a WRX it would sure prove the point that they have great traction.

I'd try to show the fun that can be had in the car, in the Nissan 350Z commercial they play one of those songs you hear as a kid. That commercial really encapsulates the emotion of the car.

Its winter, thats when Subaru shines, dust in the wind? BAH

Subaru, as reliable as the postal service, neither wind nor rain or snow.....

I saw a real old advert that said, "remember the big winter of 93? Neither do we. Subaru symetrical AWD"

I don't know if "dust in the wind" is being used in the great white north, but it's stupid, infact, i'd go so far as to say that most subie adverts are junk.

There seem to be two demographics that buy Subies, the "rally racer" and the "responsible octigenarian" Which as i'm sure you know are very divergent groups.

I saw a real old advert that said, "remember the big winter of 93? Neither do we. Subaru symetrical AWD"

We watch little network TV, we mostly stick to PBS and NPR, that said, I agree that the few current adverts I have seen are poor representations of the marque.

I'm not 'quite' an octogenerian ... yet, and fact although possibly some on this board would consider me to be ancient, I still enjoy a good quick ride ... and I 'really' enjoy blasting through a good old fashioned blizzard.

Subarus are 'quirky' so should the ads be. Although I got tired of Paul Hogan, the 'Outback' ads were pretty funny.

A classic was our trip to Polebridge during an major snow storm last year. After driving through eighteen inches of unplowed and undriven powder for over thirty miles, we stomped into a very 'rustic' coffee shop/bakery, the 'Polebridge Mercantile'. As we tromped in with the Roo sitting outside in snow up past the axle centers, and tromping the snow off our boots, the proprietor looked out the window at our snow covered car aand asked, "Oh, have they plowed the roads already?" That by itself would have made a perfect script.

As we tromped in with the Roo sitting outside in snow up past the axle centers, and tromping the snow off our boots, the proprietor looked out the window at our snow covered car aand asked, "Oh, have they plowed the roads already?" That by itself would have made a perfect script.

Yes, Perfect!

Actually one recent subaru commercial that I really enjoyed was all of the cars running around on 2 wheels except the subarus. "if you've got 4 wheels why not use them all?" or something like that.

Since it's a slow day at work I just had another commercial idea come to me:

Fade in on some wrc footage of an impreza booting around through a nice dirt and/or snow stage somewhere with a voice-over explaining what the AWD system does for you in low-traction conditions, etc, etc. Then at almost the end of the commercial have the wrc car pull off of the rally stage and around the corner to a school where his kids get on board for the trip home. Maybe as the camera pans.fades away one of the kids could ask if they have time to take the long way home.

aw Damnit. I just had another idea: Show a snow plow driver making his/her rounds clearing streets untill he gets to a long windy looking road. He/She changes their mind and doesn't clear that road. Later at the end of his/her shift he/she jumps into their subaru and heads home up the long windy, snow-filled road with a huge grin on his/her face.

Okay, so how do I get a job making this stuff up? :brow: haha!

I Know I am not American or Canadian but I am from Australia myself, I own 1995 Subaru Liberty GX (You guys called it Legacy) which looks like Legacy GT with EJ22 engine.

Anyway the reason I bought my Subaru Liberty was that I grew up with Subaru's with EA71, EA81, EA82 models then I got my own EJ22 Liberty this year age of 26, I waited until I was after 25 due insurance reasons.

Why I wanted Subaru Liberty? Because there are a few reasons which is - Its cheap, affordable, tough, reasonable amount of power, its an everyday car, its a car that has 4WD/AWD that you can drive in the city whereabouts large 4WD is banned in the city. It has AWD drive train for extra safety & grip on the road and my girlfriend's family live on a farm and I go there a lot, they don't have 4WD at all and I am the one giving them a hand during wet season as using AWD with rear diff. Makes life so much easier and secure that you won't get bogged.

If I was given large amount of money, I would buy latest Subaru... If I had a choice of an company car, I'll choose Subaru...... If I had an option on one of these cars.. I'll choose Subaru.. not looking back to other car brands.. I'm sticking with Subaru!

What I would like to see in the future? Diesel based Subaru, Hybrid Subaru, Dual Range in all models, Traction control, DCCD transmission, trip computer to show fuel usage & distance.

Cheers

AP

Reason my dad bought another subaru? He was getting too old and his back too weak to be shoveling out cars when they're stuck. First he ran mercedes, late 60's models, then he ran diesel pugeot's. when those wore out, he bought a 86 gl with dual range 4wd. It handled like no other car he had driven, and never got stuck. He spun it a couple times on ice, but tires can be blamed for that. The fact he no longer had to worry about being stuck or not getting to his destination in snow or mud season converted him. That led him to his 1995 legacy AWD, which has preformed flawlessly. The US postal service used right hand drive subarus for rural delivery vehicles for many years. Postal cars are always being put in the ditch so they can reach the boxes, no matter what the weather. What other car can be put in a muddy ditch hundreds of times a day without being stuck?

Focus on superiority in deep snow and muddy roads. Handleing is nice and natural but many cars have come into the same range since the 80's.

Suggestion for advert:

Family w/ young kids piles into Legacy. Head out on road trip through snow covered roads. Last road a mix of mud and slush. Pull up at generic Grandma's house w/ illuminated christmas tree highly visible in window. Voice over: Subaru: so you never have to worry about getting to the occasions that count.

Or something like that.

Make sure french/english signs are prominent on ad's in quebec. That will give better local connectivity to the advert.

I've driven a Subaru since 1997 to deliver mail in any road conditions you care to mention. No matter how well ploughed the road is, the shoulders are still slippery, and that's where I drive. They are unstoppable.

Have done a great deal of research attempting to find a replacement for my 91 and the niche market exists for RHD here as well as in the US. Found several sites with postal carrier groups all of whom bemoan Subaru's loss of the postal contract to Jeep in 99. Jeep is producing a Sport (way too small) with cup holders between the seats (we use that space for our bins of mail - duh) and a soft top (!) supposedly to serve this market. They must not have done any research at all.

The older Subarus are wearing out and carriers are getting desperate for replacements. I would buy a new RHD Legacy wagon in a heartbeat if they would see fit to produce one for the North American market again. Hope you have lots of pull with the ad department.

My first car was a Subaru. My best friend and I were room mates for a year and were getting tired of having to walk everywhere. When my parents head we were starting to look at used cars they went out and bought me a ’91 Loyale for a grand total of $700. It had 243,000km on it when I got it, but that didn’t stop me from driving across Canada and back. My Loyale never quit on me once, or left me stranded. I begrudgingly had to replace it at 330,000km when it got to the point where the body looked like swiss cheese and everything was just wearing out all at once. The replacement was a 98 Legacy. Well…that’s not quite true, I bought an Impreza Outback Sport first, but a reckless driver decided to plough into me head-on before I had even had that car a month. That car took a lickin, but the safety features kept me tickin :) The car was written off, but I literally walked away from the accident.

My reasons for having a Subaru:

- Best gas mileage you can get with an AWD vehicle.

- Insurance: cheaper to insure a Subaru than any other AWD/4WD SUV’s (at least for me).

- Reliability

- Tons of space….I have a German Shepherd that likes to go places with me.

- Safety features

This thread got me thinking about car commercials….and in all honesty none of the Subaru commercials recently have caught my attention. The Paul Hogan ones in the past I do remember, and that was way before I was even thinking of driving. I think it was because I loved the Crocodile Dundee movies. The only car commercials that have stood out in my mind lately are the Mazda adds. I think they stick out for me best if the catchy music they use. I think they were the ones who used the “Born to be alive” song?? *lol* Don’t flame me if I’m wrong :) I think using a catchy tune that sticks in people minds helps an ad tremendously. Those are the ones I remember long after they are not on the air anymore.

Anyway, sorry for rambling!

Cheers,

Urban Coyote