Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone ever move rear axle backward ?

zed wolf

So I was looking through some pics today of lifted subarus and got to wondering if anyone had ever moved the rear axle backward in the car when they lifted it for better tire clearance at the front of the wheel well?

The front of the back wheel well seems to be one of the biggest limiting factors for tire size on these cars, well, wagons any way as all 3 of mine are.

With the back door there there just isnt much room for fender trimming.

I would think even 2 inches back would offer a huge increase in available tire space. Heck if it were feasable I would go as much as 5 inches. It dosent cost that much to get a drive shaft lengthened.

You can design the lift for various configurations. The byb, keeps the tire in the center. Our lift brings it slightly forward, and I think SJR's lift brings it to the center. Someone could desing the lift so it was staggered towards the rear which wouldn't be hard, but the limiting factor would be how far back can the drive line go before it needs to be extended? Also one reason why the tires look so close to the front of the car is the swing arm rear end, if it was an (A) arm they would always stay in the middle.

I believe the SJR 6" Lift moves the rear diff and swingarm pivots straight down the full 6" and retains the original factory axle angles so in affect that should leave the hubs and wheels in their original factory position, so if they started out in the center, they would still be in the center.

I'm guessing the new SJR 3.5" lift may increase the axle angles a bit and thus possibly bring the rear wheels forward a little, unless they decide to move the diff rearward, but I don't think that is the case.

I could be wrong, but that is what it looked like to me.

Rollie

My lift is like no other, unfortunately. When I installed the rear axle I centered it in the wheelwell. I moved the front end forward 2 1/2". Mine is about a 4" body and 6" suspension in the rear and 10 " body lift in the front.

5IMG_0064-med.JPG

My lift is like no other, unfortunately. When I installed the rear axle I centered it in the wheelwell. I moved the front end forward 2 1/2". Mine is about a 4" body and 6" suspension in the rear and 10 " body lift in the front.

hate to kiss your rump roast, as that's not my thing, but I'm suprised there aren't more brats like yours rolling around... guess nobody wants to go big, they'd rather go home :-\

I believe the SJR 6" Lift moves the rear diff and swingarm pivots straight down the full 6" and retains the original factory axle angles so in affect that should leave the hubs and wheels in their original factory position, so if they started out in the center, they would still be in the center.

I'm guessing the new SJR 3.5" lift may increase the axle angles a bit and thus possibly bring the rear wheels forward a little, unless they decide to move the diff rearward, but I don't think that is the case.

I could be wrong, but that is what it looked like to me.

Rollie

you are correct,.

that said if someone wanted the rear axle moved back I could fab up a custom lift with your specs:

of lift,

increased axle angle

and axle placement

also you can choose which componants you want on your lift which will give different results, say you want high clearance , then you would want to keep the rear cross tube and diff up high which would resolt in the swing arm swinging down causing a clearance issue at front of tire, now if want to keep everything at stock geometry the you would lower every part equally , this will keep the wheels centered

.also it may be possible to put a spacer between the u-joint flange and driveline to prevent having a custom driveline built

Interesting... never thought of putting a spacer in a drive shaft before..I always take them to a drive shaft shop and tell them what I need done with it.

The main reason I would move the axle rearward is to make it easier to trim the wheel opening a bit more. there just isnt much room on a wagon to trim the front of the opening before you get into the back door.

I am looking into building up 2 of my wagons, first I want to build one up fro my wife, that would be my 86 with the 2 speed. I would like to get some 27's under it.

Then when I get young and rich I would build up my 80 for myself. That one I want a bit bigger though, 33's would be nice. should probably put in a better motor too. and a 2 speed. or somthing I am still learning what my ptions are.