Ultimate Subaru Message Board

STIFF struts/shocks

WJM

Hi,

Quite interested but poor.What exactly are you doing? What struts are you working with? I was thinking of adding soobie mtg brackets to a vw or bmw strut housing as sport cartridges for these apps are the least exspensive.

Let me know and if you have any drawings may I see them?

Thanks,Ed

No one?

Ok...i guess no one wants the stiffness.

Normally I would be more than happy to give away the secrets...but, alas...this is not something an average person or mechanic can do...plus I am making a living off of these items.

Do you think Koni would tell you all about how they do their work...? No...

Here are some cliffnotes tho...

Tokico-KYB-others are the same basic internal construction.

They have the same basic valving components.

Through the right places, i can order different valving parts.

However, the struts are designed as a sealed non-rebuildable unit. They have to be cut apart and converted to a rebuildable unit.

After I perform that conversion, I can rebuild them, assemble them, and you will have the end product....a much stiffer than OE shock/strut.

I will be looking to buy some rear struts for my 3 door coupe probably by the end of winter. I would like new RX stock replacements or stiffer. If it is $300 for a set of 4, then I am okay with 2 rear struts for $150. My problem right now is trying to sort out my rough idling problem and then more engine mods to come before I start working on the suspension.

I hope they will handle 675 lb springs (12K)....as I will be running somewhere around a 10k, 11k or 12k setup (560, 616, 672)...

The light valving should be good for 250~350...med valving for 350~550...and the heavy for 600+...I hope.

Once I get the prototype stuff figured out and a set done for my RX...tested...then sent off to a shock dyno....I'll experiment with some more valving and get some set numbers.

Yes, $150 for just one axle set...aka it breaks down to $75 each.

Right now thats just the predicted pricing...the rears may be cheaper or more expensive once i get some pricing back from KYB and Tokico for parts.

These will not be end user adjustable tho...so be sure to select carefully your valving for what you end up doing....but I will have charts up for what you should want vs what you are doing for valving choices.

Although, cheaper... I'd want something I had control over. ANd since i'm superior and 5 lugged, I'm on the look out for some nice coilovers for a legacy.

WWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL..............

Since you have the 5 lug, you can get the Koni 8611-S inserts for the front...the rear...I'm still looking for a suitable off the shelf rear threaded body shock thats adjustable...the problem is that ONE rear would be more than BOTH of the front inserts together...

Those are adjustable ofcourse...

Roomate brought home some rear struts off of a 2002 or 2003 legacy that he replaced at work.

They mount the same as EA82 rears (on the bottom). Height is dead on. Just need to put springs on it and our top hat. Bling Bling bolt in.

This is the same as the Legacy B4 (popular in JDM land and modded) so finding coilovers for it won't be impossible. I've even seen a few sets here in the states, but haven't had the funds to move on them as quickly as I would have liked. But with suspension stuff, i'd probally steer away from used and go new. So now I just need to find a shop that will actually look into finding a set for me.

Tein's, JIC's, Mmmmm Zeals...

Will, it would be awhile before I can do anything like that but I'm very interested and excited that someone has finally decided to take this challenge on. Get some pricing and I will see if I can get the cash together to place an order. Are you going to do a core exchange or how are you working this?

Patrick

Roomate brought home some rear struts off of a 2002 or 2003 legacy that he replaced at work.

They mount the same as EA82 rears (on the bottom). Height is dead on. Just need to put springs on it and our top hat. Bling Bling bolt in.

This is the same as the Legacy B4 (popular in JDM land and modded) so finding coilovers for it won't be impossible. I've even seen a few sets here in the states, but haven't had the funds to move on them as quickly as I would have liked. But with suspension stuff, i'd probally steer away from used and go new. So now I just need to find a shop that will actually look into finding a set for me.

Tein's, JIC's, Mmmmm Zeals...

Wow, so the legacy struts fit. What year model legacy and what year model EA82 car?

• 2 weeks later...