Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all, this is only my second post. I have tried searching the site a bit for axel help but I just can't seem to find anything that describes my problem, or at least I didn't think that anything did so....here we go. I have a '95 Subaru Impreza L. I have replaced (and fully packed with grease) all of the CV/axel boots, I've done brakes the whole way around the car. Now I'm down to only 2 problems here: Is there any way to get the rack and pinion boots off without disconnecting the tierods to slide them off? Preferably is there any kind of a quickboot to replace them like I used for the CV boots, those split ones you hold together witht he small screws and such... Secondly, there is a high pitched, if you will, clicking/chatter that comes from what seems like the passenger side front of the car. If you make a fist and hit your knuckles off of a wooden table, that's exactly how this sounds (sorry that's the best way I could think of to describe it) anyway, it does it really bad when its cold and the car's been sitting for a few hours in it. It won't do it going through first, it starts when I shift it to second, worse when I hit it into third, less in fourth, and none back into fifth. I won't do it until after 2,500 RPMS and the sound stops generally at 56 MPH or higher. It makes the sound REALLY bad when making a right hand turn, no sound at all with a left hand turn. My friend who's obsessed with Honda's says it sounds like an axel to him, I'm thinking axel or CV joint. I wanted to ask the pro's here. I'd like to find out and fix it myself before having to take it to some shop and pay far out the butt for it. I appreciate any of your help in advance and please let me know any of your opinions. Thank you.

Regards, Brandon

'95 Impreza L, FWD

The tierod end will have to come off. Just mark the location so you can put it back to the same spot and your toe should remain correct.

Sounds like a CV joint is bad, did you inspect them when you repacked them? There should be no play in the joint.

Sounds like a CV joint is bad, did you inspect them when you repacked them? There should be no play in the joint.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that, I checked all the joints and bushings, no play in ANYTHING, that's what has me confused, I mean I grabbed ahold of the axel and tried to move it in any direction, it doesn't budge, and the wheel has no play when I try move it around, and I used a pry bar with the car an inch or 2 off the ground and there's still no play...I'm just lost on it now. I mean there's no change in driving ability, and no slipping when I stop or accelerate... just confused.

Brandon

Could it be a heat sheild? Right now if there are no driveability issues, i would keep an eye (ear) on it. If ti is a heat sheild, it wont get worse. if it is anything else, it will get worse and then you can tell what it is. It can also be a wheel bearing, or the backing plate for the front brake caliper. Actually i am thnking more and more its the backing plate.

nipper

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved everyone! Turns out I did NOT have enough grease packed in the new CV boots...I just redid both of the passengers side by adding a whole heck of a lot more grease, completely silent. I thank everyone for their support and help so far. I won't be stranger to the site that's for sure. I also wanted to give everyone my link on cardomain so you can see how my car looks and tell me what you think if you feel like it. Thanks a bunch and see everyone soon. !

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/446451

Regards,

Brandon Bartolomucci