Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I got stuck in some snow in my drive. I couldn't back up. After several tries I managed to back out. As I was driving I noticed that the ABS light had come on and when I tried to brake on the icy drive I had no ABS. After some driving the light went out and all seems fine. This is the first time I've had any problems with the ABS system.

Question:

Did the ABS wheel sensor or sensors get icy and fail to operate ? Or do I have a more serious problem.

Thanks in adavnce for your help.

~Howard

:cool:

this is normal, it just means they got all gummed up with slush/snow/ice. They are hall effect sensors which read a saw tooth pattern on the hubs using a magnet. The air gap between the sensor and the saw tooth got clogged, or the sawtooth filled up with snow so it cant see the pattern.

Will occasionally happen when you go through a deep puddle too.

nipper

no kidding, just the notched design is called "hall effect"

(nipper, PM me if you got that Duty Solenoid C modification to work on a newer subaru, i want to install it on my impreza OBS)

free bump i guess....

actually all hall sensors work the same, its what they read are differnt, the pattern.

Sorry my back's gotten alot worse since we last spoke, so it wont be till spring, after my surgery :(

nipper