Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey you guys that upgraded your Turbos,

The TD04 from a WRX or the VF11 from a Turbo legacy is a near bolt-on. You just need to make a small modification to your up-pipe in order to mount the turbo. However, the rear of the turbo will not bolt to your stock downpipe, so you will need a WRX downpipe (works for both legacy and wrx turbos).

Another problem is the air outlet from the turbo to your intake is slightly different. Where our VF7 comes out straight up, the other turbos are at an angle... therefore you will need to get creative with the air intake.

If you want to install an intercooler, now is the time to do it, as that would solve the problem with the air intake.

-Brian

The stock header will greatly limit the upgraded turbo's ability to flow. I would try a better-flowing header with larger tubes before upgrading the stock turbo. You might be impressed by the stock turbo when it actually has a good flow of gases to it.

Upgrade your down pipe and cat and replace the muffler with a straight-through design. Your stock turbo is in a less than ideal environment with all the additive inefficiencies surrounding it.

look in the retrofiting section.

I highly recomend the TD04 if you really want a good matched turbo to the EA82T. the TD04 is a bit too small for the WRX but works just nicely on the EA82T.

its the little things that will frustrate you when doing the conversion.

some fabrication skills(welding) are verry helpfull when attempting this swap.

our WRX wagon and my GL10 wagon are not all that different in power now. the GL10 is also running at higher than stock boost.

On that subject, what is on the inside of the stock downpipe? Mine looks like it has an expansion chamber/resonator on it. I see no reason for it to stay with a new downpipe, never had one on another turbo vehicle.

its your cataletic converter.

on the EA82T its in two parts the one in the down pipe and the one under the car.

Thanks for the info guys. I found the thread talking about the swap. The only reason I'm thinking about this is because I think my turbo is on the way out. It starts smoking whenever it wants to. No rime or reason. Just pours out oil smoke and then stops and runs fine. Does this for about 5 seconds and it really smokes.

So I was talking to Austin and he said I should check into this. Other option would be to buy a replacement turbo if anyone has a good one.

as long as you do not have to pass a visual inspection you can.

I had a set up with a subspeed down pipe and a high flow cat before. it passed emissions but flowed much better.

as they always say. do a search.

not being in cali, they arent nearly as strict with emmissions. as long as the ca at least has a functioning cat, its legal, it doesnt have to be in the stock location.

although, from what i hear, in va, they are trying to make it illegal to have any modifications to a car. i love being in maryland though, emmissions every two years and no inspections after you buy the car. as long as you dont have a cel in a newer car or pass the sniffer test in an older car, they dont really care.