Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 legacy needs a new muffler

I will call a few parts places but since this muffler lasted 13 years I am inclined to get an authentic part. Going to check junkyards out too. How would I know if a used part would fit my car? Is there a year range or body type I need to look for? Whats an MRT?

Another ? I just got a cv boot replaced and the mech said the boots on the steering are cracked. I looked from up top and could not see anything so, is an under the car job? Are they easy or hard to replace? thanks

Another ? I just got a cv boot replaced and the mech said the boots on the steering are cracked. I looked from up top and could not see anything so, is an under the car job? Are they easy or hard to replace? thanks

This is an under car job that really should be followed up by an alignment. I would also have the inner tie rod ends cleaned and repacked at this time to reduce the chances of crud from the roadway entering the steering rack and causing premature wear.

I will call a few parts places but since this muffler lasted 13 years I am inclined to get an authentic part. Going to check junkyards out too. How would I know if a used part would fit my car? Is there a year range or body type I need to look for? Whats an MRT?

Go to a mom and pop autostore and ask them what brand pipes they use. If they are walker pipes, i would buy from the autoparts store. If they are not, i would go to the dealer. And to save yourself some greif, i would replace everything from the cat back and be done with it. i agree if OE parts lasted for so long, i would go that route. Walker is sometimes a supplier to OE thats why i recomend them.

nipper

ron2368,

I have used Bosal products on a few vehicles including a y-pipe back system on my '93 Legacy wagon. I found the price reasonable and the fit was perfect. NAPA does carry the line as well as other parts stores. You can get part numbers and a diagram of your specific system at: http://www.bosalnafta.com/usaindex.php

just click on the "PRODUCTS" tab to screen left and then follow the prompts.

Good luck and as Gnuman mentioned, with your rack boots, if they have allowed road grime into the inner tie rod joint, that should be cleaned/greased.

Yeah, get genuine parts or Bosal or Walker. The last two will NOT last as long, but they beat all the no-name stuff.

I would strongly recommend applying a coat of heat resistant paint to the new pipe before installation. It won't stop the rust dead, but it will delay things considerably.