Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hello, welcome to my viscous nightmare

Yep, I'm new here. I started looking here to see what was the trouble with my '99 OBW. It appeared a classic case of torque bind, but I have a MT. So it turns out I have a bad viscous coupling (VC). Nothing that $1100 won't fix. My question is that at about 80K miles, this seems a bit premature. I know the issues of tire size and rotation and I'll check to see if that was the cause. Any other issues that can lead to VC failure? I don't want to leave the cause unrepaired and look forward to shelling out another chunk in a few months.

I would hust stay up on tire rotation, air preasure, and keep thje tires matched. Abusing the center diff making it work hard(having a tire in the air) will cause it to heat up and that will take life away, but thats about it. Ive been very abusive and have never had a problem with them so maybe it was complete neglect, or maybe a defective center diff.

I don't think I've abused the system. I have four Michelins of the same vintage. I've kept up rotation reasonably well. Once I lost some pressure in one of the rear tires and heard a strange rumbling on deceleration. When I corrected the tire pressure, the rumbling went away.

An interesting note: I was looking at a 2005 Outback XT at the dealer lot. It had about 18K on the odometer. The front tires were almost to the wear bars, the back ones looked like they were new. Must of never been rotated. I brought up the issue to the salesman. His reply: We'll put on two new tires if you buy today.

Yep, I'm new here. I started looking here to see what was the trouble with my '99 OBW. It appeared a classic case of torque bind, but I have a MT. So it turns out I have a bad viscous coupling (VC). Nothing that $1100 won't fix. My question is that at about 80K miles, this seems a bit premature. I know the issues of tire size and rotation and I'll check to see if that was the cause. Any other issues that can lead to VC failure? I don't want to leave the cause unrepaired and look forward to shelling out another chunk in a few months.

are you the original owner ?

nipper

An interesting note: I was looking at a 2005 Outback XT at the dealer lot. It had about 18K on the odometer. The front tires were almost to the wear bars, the back ones looked like they were new. Must of never been rotated. I brought up the issue to the salesman. His reply: We'll put on two new tires if you buy today.

and you reply to him "it's a subaru, it needs 4 new tires, not 2"

Yep, I'm the original owner. I got over 50K on the OEM set of Michelins. Replaced them with the same product (XW4, I think). As far as handbrake turns, I can barely get the e-brake to hold on my driveway, so I would be surprised it it could lock the wheels at speed. I notice some folks run their tires at higher pressures. Could that put less stress on the center diff?